Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20678 Discussions

Very Disappointed with DE0-Nano

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Team,  

I just got my DE0-Nano and downloaded two zip files "DE0_Nano_ControlPanel_V1.3.0" and "DE0-Nano_v.1.2.2_SystemCD". II unzipped, but nothing was Installed on my Window 10 and after I executed "DE0_Nano_ControlPanel" and "DE0_Nano_SystemBuilder" To my disappointment it does not connect and gives me all sorts of issues and errors about "Failed to Find Quartus instralltion folder!". Do I need to purchase this software package? any assistance is appreciated.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Suggest to read chapter "6.2 Before you begin" in the DE0 Nano user manual. Third point is "you have installed Altera Quartus II 10.1 software on your computer". (can be translated to a recent Quartus version supporting Cyclone IV). 

In case you have installed Quartus and still get the error, there might be a tool problem with Windows 10 and/or newer Quartus versions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

Thank you for your response and well put advice. I sure will read that documentation and will get back with you if anything else comes up. Again thank you for your advice and pointers. 

Regards, 

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FvM, 

I checked my Device manager and I see USB-Blaster is not recognized. Searched for update all over and can't find an update for it, even form Window 7. Is there a safe place to download a copy, or does this Forum help with that? 

Thanks  

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI: 

Quartus 13.1 is the last version that will run on Windows XP 32b and Windows 7 32b (and it will run on Windows 7 64b also). 

Quartus 14.0 and later require Windows 7 64b (not 32b) and later (Windows 8.1). 

Quartus 16.0 is the first version that will run on Windows 10 64b (also will run on Windows 7/8.1 64b). 

So you need Quartus 16.0 or later for Windows 10 support.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FvM, 

Thanks pal. I did install the Quartus 16.0 and I am still reading. But now I don't have a License key and I am searching for that. When I bring up Quartus Prime Pro 16.1, it gives me pop up "License Setup Required..Connect to Altera self-service Licensing center...". I do and it gives me a webe page, which odes not help... 

If you know where I can download a copy, please let me know. 

Thank you for your assistance. 

Regards, 

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to download the Lite Edition which doesn't require a license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi leon_heller, 

Thanks for the help. I did install the Lite version. I am still working to get the Jtag thing fixed. The Board/Card still does nor connect. I get that out of the way I'll be happier. 

Thanks and regards, 

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Leo, FvM, 

Please help. I installed the Lite version, but when I look in the Device manager, under the JTAG cables, the 'Altera USB_Blaster II' has yellow Triangle with exclamation mark on it and Control panel comes up with the same JTAG messages and can not connect.  

Regards, 

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Givi, 

You might have to install/update the driver manually. 

Connect your DE device. 

Go to System / Device manager in Windows. 

Select the icon for the usb driver that needs updates. 

You can find the updated drivers in the quartus install directories. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johi, 

I did, but no change. I deleted the 'Altera USB_Blaster II' in the device manager that had yellow Triangle with exclamation mark on it and then directed the search for JTAG to path where I have installed "quartus", "D:\DE0-Nano\intelFPGA_lite\16.1\quartus\drivers\usb-blaster-ii" and installed it again. But the same thing shows up 'yellow Triangle with exclamation mark ' and Control panel comes up with the same JTAG messages and can not connect.  

Thanks. 

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, DE0-Nano is using USB Blaster (version 1) instead of version II. Can you try to point it to \16.1\quartus\drivers and then tick the search inside subfolders option in windows?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the cannot connect issue as well, a workaround is to use the quartus programmer to program the required .sof file. After that it did connect.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sunshine, PietervanderStar, 

Thanks I did and I only show "Altera USB Blaster" under the device manager under the "Universal Serial Bus Controller", still get the same error "quartus_pgm download fail(1 sec)", when I bring up the "DE0_Nano_ControlPanel - Shortcut".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so you were able to load the sof, but the control panel could not connect?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If 'sof' is what makes the sleepy LEDs go back and forth, it must be getting loaded. that is all I see on that DE0-Nano. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, that is the standard design. did you domthe following steps? 

1. start quartus programmer 

2. add sof fileccontrolpanel.sof from your control panel folder (the name may be a little diffrent) 

3. If I remember correctly you should see the jtag chain in themlower half of the programmer window 

4. if not, ask here what to do 

5. click start at the top right corner 

6. see the progress bar "progress" 

7. did you have any errors ask here what to do 

8. if not the so was loaded an the control panel should now be able to connect
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi PietervanderStar, 

Yes I did load the ".sod" from the control panel and it turned off the sleepy moving LED thing. But I still can't bring up the control panel without all the error messages and it still does not connect. I uninstalled everything software driver etc and re-installed and no change. So I am going to install the 15.1 version and see if one revision lower might work. 

Thanks. 

Givi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

but if you load the sof you don't get any errors? this seems to be a problem with the control panel rather than the jtag/blaster/programmer. It may be it can be resolved by running the controlpanel as admin.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, it is fixed. 

I received a bin32 to copy under the Quartus directory and then copy the control panel content into it. Then the main issue was the Environmental Variables that had to be corrected for Variable Names: QSYS_ROOTDIR, QUARTUS_ROOTDIR and SOPC_KIT_NIOS2. I still get an error message saying "Failed to find the Quartus Installation Folder " when I start it but it connects. 

Thanks everyone for assisting. 

Regards, 

Givi
0 Kudos