Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

What are the exact definitions of chip-to-chip, chip-to-module and back-plane applications?

HBhat2
New Contributor II

In FPGA (stratix 10) transceiver user guide, it is mentioned that transceivers can be used for "integrated advanced highspeed

analog signal conditioning and clock data recovery circuits for chip-to-chip,

chip-to-module, and backplane applications."

Overall, I can imagine the different situations. But, I want to know, in specific, what is the exact definition. For example, I got the info that chip-to-chip means the electrical traces withing 20inches.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi HPB, Regarding your inquiry on the different connection interface, let me try to explain at high level as following: 1. Chip-to-chip -> direct connection between two FPGA ie S10 to S10. 2. chip-to-module -> connection between FPGA with other chips 3. backplane -> this is a interface where several boards are connection to form a computer system. Generally used in servers. You may try to search in web for better definition of backplane connection. Currently there is no specific information in term of the electrical traces in the documentation. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi HPB, Regarding your inquiry on the different connection interface, let me try to explain at high level as following: 1. Chip-to-chip -> direct connection between two FPGA ie S10 to S10. 2. chip-to-module -> connection between FPGA with other chips 3. backplane -> this is a interface where several boards are connection to form a computer system. Generally used in servers. You may try to search in web for better definition of backplane connection. Currently there is no specific information in term of the electrical traces in the documentation. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi Chee Pin,

Thanks for your explanation. I had a big doubt regarding chip to chip and chip to module interface. I got some satisfied answer after searching a lot. I am convinced by your answer. However, could you share any document/literature which I can consider as the document reference for above definitions?

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos