Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

What is the criteria that must be met for the "locked" output in the ALTPLL megafunction to go low?

CFisc1
Beginner

I am using the ALTPLL IP block with a 30MHz reference clock and Quartus15.1.

From my understanding, the "locked" output of the ALTPLL megafunction will go low as soon as the phase frequency detector of the PLL detects a phase shift between the input reference clock and the feedback clock of the PLL.

There are given a number of reasons why this could happen in the MAX10 Clocking and PLL User Guide:

• Jitter on the reference clock
  • Reference clock is not within the defined frequency
  • Noise on the power supply
  • etc.

Now my questions are:

1. Is it true, that the only reason for the "locked" output to go low is the detection of a phase shift between reference clock and PLL feedback (whatever the reason for that may be)?
  2. If so, then how big does that phase-shift need to be in order to force the "locked" output low?

I am using the MAX10: 10M25SCE144 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CFisc1
Beginner

Thank you for the response,

as I mentioned, I found the list of reasons which may cause the PLL to lose lock. What I do not know, and what I fail to find on the link you referenced, is: How are these "lock loss reasons" evaluated? My understanding so far is, that the only detection for any of the issues listed (Jitter, SSN, PLL reset) , is the detection of a phase difference between reference clock and PLL feedback loop. Is this assumption correct, or are there other means by which the PLL can detect a violation of the PLL specifications?

Thank you and kind regards

0 Kudos
CFisc1
Beginner

I am writing again, to ask about the status of my question.

If my question is not understandable, please tell me so. I can try to rephrase it to make it more clear.

Thank you

0 Kudos