Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

What is the lowest power FPGA board/card available in the market?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm working on a project in which an FPGA should be used in a mobile phone, so the FPGA has to draw as few power as possible. so i have to find a very low power FPGA to work on it.  

What is actually the most low power FPGA known?  

Thanks and best regards
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IIRC low power is addressed best by FLASH based FPGAs - thus the IGLOO came to my mind first (to blame myself not being ALTERA Chips...) 

They, microsemi, advertised their IGLOO series as "lowest power FPGAs" - I don't now how MAX10 (also being FLASH based) compete in power requirements. 

BTW: IGLOO was developed by Actel, which was bought by Microsemi - which is now part of Microchip (what might but does not necessarily must have Impact on device families)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

IIRC low power is addressed best by FLASH based FPGAs - thus the IGLOO came to my mind first (to blame myself not being ALTERA Chips...) 

They, microsemi, advertised their IGLOO series as "lowest power FPGAs" - I don't now how MAX10 (also being FLASH based) compete in power requirements. 

BTW: IGLOO was developed by Actel, which was bought by Microsemi - which is now part of Microchip (what might but does not necessarily must have Impact on device families) 

--- Quote End ---  

All true about the IGLOO series, very low power, in the microwatts in standby mode. More if active, of course. 

However, Microchip has not yet bought MicroSemi; it is still a stand-alone corporation. A deal is in progress, but it ain't done yet.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dear Carlhermann, 

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

A more Specific Q: do you have an idea about the lowest power FPGA Board that can run an OpenCL kernel? would it be an Altera board in this case ?
0 Kudos