Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Why Intel/Altera refuses to responding to product quality issue found in the field?

SSoh1
Beginner

A case was filed with Intel, refer to Case #:03999939

MFR: Altera

MPN: 5SGXMA4H3F35C4N

Defect: Missing solder ball

Rejected Qty: 1pc

Supplier: Macnica Cytech Pte Ltd

Comments: Intel/Altera insisted the manufacturing process is full proof unlikely to have such defect!!  Why Intel/Altera is behaving so complacent and arrogant that not interested to find out more of the quality feedback?  It's manufacturer's responsibility to provide failure analysis instead of negative response.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Currently I am reviewing the forum for any open questions and found this thread. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a while you posted this question, I'm wondering if you have found the answer? If not, please let me know, I will try to assign/find someone to assist you. Please do expect some delay in response as most of our agents are out of office due to the year-end holidays. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
SSoh1
Beginner
Hi Nooraini, Thanks for attending to the post. This product quality issue was rejected Intel through usual channel; means feedback to supplier --> Intel, unfortunately, Intel not taking up the responsibility as a manufacturer!! As such, I posted the case to Intel website, a Case #03999939 was assigned but again no one is attending to the quality feedback instead it directed me to post the case to the forum. Why it’s so difficult to reach out to Intel for attending product quality matter? Best Regards, Siew Ying OSI Electronics Pte Ltd. 240 MacPherson Road Pines Industrial Building #07-05 Singapore 348574 Tel: 65-6468-9877 #6167 Fax: 65-63538486/3634 Email: ssoh@osielectronics.com<mailto:ssoh@osielectronics.com> www.osielectronics.com<http://www.osielectronics.com>
0 Kudos
ChiaLing_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Siew Ying,

We apologies for any inconvenient cause on you. From your description showed there is a missing ball issue observed on 5SGXMA4H3F35C4N.

For your information, Intel FPGA perform 100% Ball Scan prior to shipment, so it's unlikely that the device will have been shipped with a missing ball. There is a high possibility that it was damaged in transit or shipping or improper storage. We have ball scan and visual test. Plus, we have drop test proved packing. we test all devices for shorts and opens before the devices leave our factory. All our devices are fully tested as good before shipped to customer. The purpose of production testing during manufacturing is to screen out bad units and in the case of this case, short in circuit diagram. The purpose of production testing during manufacturing is to screen out bad units and in the case of this request, the missing solder ball would not pass the open/short test.

Intel FPGA Reliability Report had stated clearly that we perform comprehensive testing and manufacturing controls on all its products:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/rr/rr.pdf

We could guarantee devices leave factory door in good condition. Once shipment leaves factory, we are no longer liable as it subjects to forwarder’s handling, distributor’s handling and customer’s handling. There is no way to tell if the damages are done before devices leave factory door. Therefore, no RMA will be proceed due to the missing ball issue reported.

You can look into this to come out some corrective action. Meanwhile, you may referring to the solution below on the maximum downward pressure that can be applied to the top of BGA

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd04172001_4367.html

Thank you

Regards,

Chia Ling

0 Kudos
SSoh1
Beginner
Hi Chia Ling, Even the part has passed all the test and screening, it does not rule out the fact of failure. the solder ball maybe not firmly adhered to the component, it gets weaker and finally drop off after going through all the test and screening. Secondly, it’s Intel responsibility to ensure product is properly packed to prevent it from damage during the transportation. How could Intel simply stay away from the problem? Best Regards, Siew Ying OSI Electronics Pte Ltd. 240 MacPherson Road Pines Industrial Building #07-05 Singapore 348574 Tel: 65-6468-9877 #6167 Fax: 65-63538486/3634 Email: ssoh@osielectronics.com<mailto:ssoh@osielectronics.com> www.osielectronics.com<http://www.osielectronics.com>
0 Kudos
ChiaLing_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Siew Ying,

As communicated, we have drop test proved packing. we test all devices for shorts and opens before the devices leave our factory. All our devices are fully tested as good before shipped to customer.  There is no way to tell if the damages are done before devices leave factory door since we do not have the visibility on how customer handling the devices. Therefore, we would not proceed for part replacement. Appreciate much for your understanding.

Thank you

Regards,

Chia Ling

0 Kudos
SSoh1
Beginner
Hi Chia Ling, Why are you jumping into the conclusion that customer is asking for replacement? As a reputable manufacturer, the basic thing you should do is to take back the part for investigation rather than telling us how robust your process is!! Why Intel is behaving so arrogant that ignoring customer feedback?? I am expecting Inter to take back the goods for investigation prior to the replacement. Best Regards, Siew Ying OSI Electronics Pte Ltd. 240 MacPherson Road Pines Industrial Building #07-05 Singapore 348574 Tel: 65-6468-9877 #6167 Fax: 65-63538486/3634 Email: ssoh@osielectronics.com<mailto:ssoh@osielectronics.com> www.osielectronics.com<http://www.osielectronics.com>
0 Kudos
ChiaLing_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Siew Ying,

I apologies for the miss understanding. By referring to the Intel FPGA Failure Analysis Service - we test all devices for shorts and opens before the devices leave our factory. All our devices are fully tested as good before shipped to customer. The purpose of production testing during manufacturing is to screen out bad units:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/operation-and-testing/dvs-failure_analysis.html

We could guarantee devices leave factory door in good condition. Once shipment leaves factory, we are no longer liable as it subjects to forwarder’s handling, distributor’s handling and customer’s handling. There is no way to tell if the damages are done before devices leave factory door. Therefore, no failure analysis or part replacement will be proceed due to the missing ball issue reported.

Thank you

Regards,

Chia Ling

0 Kudos