Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Why has quartus stopped generating a time-limited sof file?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My Quartus license expires this month (2013.02) but appears to be valid at the moment. But all of a sudden, today, it will not generate a time-limited sof file because I'm using the Triple Speed Ethernet core, which I haven't purchased yet but as far as I know, that shouldn't prevent the generation and use of the time-limited sof. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems to be a bug in my 64-bit version. Compile with web edition and 32-bit version worked ok - typical.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The opencore evaluation can be turned off in some projects (Assignments > Settings > Compilation Process Settings > More Settings... > Disable OpenCore Plus Evaluation. Maybe it was disabled in your poject?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Daixiwen, Thanks for letting me know this. But OpenCore is not shown as disabled. Its hard to know now what happened because when I compiled with the web edition, the database was overwritten. This seems to have fixed things. Now I am able to compile with the 64-bit version and create the time-limited sof. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If it happens again have a look at the assembler report and check if it says anything about why it didn't generate a .sof file. There is also a "generated files" report that could tell you if the file was generated somewhere else than in the usual folder (for whatever reason).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, will do... (It did say in the assembler report that the SOF wasn't generated because I didn't have a license for the core, but when it's working properly it says "Warning (210042): Can't convert time-limited SOF into POF, HEX File, TTF, or RBF" which is normal as far as I know, and the time-limited sof is generated) 

Thanks , much appreciated!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I've ran into this similar problem today when I deleted my time limited sof file and Quartus simply didn't generate it again. "Disable OpenCore Plus Evaluation" is disabled (therefore opencore plus evaluation is enabled) and absolutely no warnings are emitted by the assembler. 

I've found out that after a subtle licence update in my lab, Quartus stopped generating time limited sof and a full-featured sof is now generated without time limiting. It took me weeks to realise that the time limited sof file that I've been using is extremely outdated and everything new is on a .sof file that I didn't knew it existed. 

I'm necrobumping this thread for a good cause, for anyone that might run into this similar problem related to licence update.
PManw
Beginner

I've just run into the same issue using Quartus Prime Pro 19.4. I deleted the time limited sof file and Quartus won't generate new ones. Did anyone come to a conclusion as to why?

0 Kudos