Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Windows 10 Security Reports Trojan in cyclone10lp_epe_18_0.xls

drbrent
Beginner

I downloaded the Office 365 version of the EPE spreadsheet for Cyclone 10LP from the link below and Windows Security (Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044)
reports the trojan below. Is this file really infected or do I have to do something to work around this?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/others/support/devices/estimator/c10-lp-estimator/cyclone10lp_2021/cyclone10lp_epe_18_0.xls

drbrent_0-1647446999835.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello Dr Brent, 

Intel has reviewed the content of the cyclone10lp_epe.xls and cyclone10lp_epe_18.0.xls excel files and found no trojan viruses in these files.  Antivirus program indications of a virus in the Intel FPGA Early Power Estimator tools that are downloaded from Early Power Estimators (EPE) and Power Analyzer (intel.com) are false positives that are likely due to the use of macros and DLLs that are embedded in the Excel files that have functionality that is similar to real viruses.   

Intel recommends updated your antivirus software to the latest definitions which may resolve the issue.

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
JohnB1
Beginner

This is still an issue with both a browser and windows based virus protection system.   This should be labeled as an issue on the download page.   There should also be a cleaned up version of this without the virus like dll/macros installed as a backup.

0 Kudos
HvdBrand
Beginner

On 2023-03-21 I am still experiencing the same issue as reported.

So it seems that these files are still considered unsafe.

I see nothing about this issue on the download site, but would have hoped that the data would be distributed in a safer way.

0 Kudos
HvdBrand
Beginner

As an additional measure, file hashes could be provided on the download page to at least verify that the downloaded file is as expected.

0 Kudos