Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20685 Discussions

Windows 10 driver support for USB Blaster ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In reviewing the drivers download page it appears there are NO drivers for Windows 10 for the USB based Blaster programmer cables. 

Is this really true ?
0 Kudos
36 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've done it on Windows 10. After plugging the USB blaster II then go to Install Drivers and navigate to the install directory and there is a drivers directory. I've done it twice on this machine and it's worked.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've done it on Windows 10. After plugging the USB blaster II then go to Install Drivers and navigate to the install directory and there is a drivers directory. I've done it twice on this machine and it's worked. 

--- Quote End ---  

I am trying to do it now and it isn't working. I just installed the tool and plugged in the USB Blaster and Windows 10 reports an 'Unknown device'. I go to 'Update driver' using files at C:\intelFPGA\16.1\qprogrammer\drivers with the 'Include subfolders' checked. and it gets it to load the Altera USB-Blaster into the USB controllers but it still has an exclamation point. When I try to update the driver it says the best drivers are already installed. I have tried this several times and it still does not work. 

Lenovo Thinkpad laptop.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I too am unable to install drivers on Windows 10 - although I was able to do so on other Windows 10 machines.  

I think I have identified the difference.  

The issue is that the drives are not "digitally signed" (windows tells me that "the hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file") and won't install the driver - previously it has given me a warning and allowed me to install anyway.  

I first tried turning off driver signature enforcement using BCDEDIT - but that bounced because of the Secure Boot Policy. Then looked at disabling Secure Boot Policy but fell down because of BitLocker.  

I'll keep bashing away at this - BUT THE ACTUAL ANSWER IS FOR ALTERA(INTEL) TO PRODUCE SIGNED DRIVERS FOR ALL WIDELY USED PROGRAMMING DEVICES FOR THE INCREASINGLY UBIQUITOUS WINDOWS 10 !
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was able to install the drivers. You first have to disable driver signature enforcement. This is the sequence: 

1 - Go to windows 10 settings and search for "advanced startup options" 

2 - Under Advanced startup, hit "Restart now" 

3 - After a moment, you'll get a "choose an option" screen - choose "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Startup Settings" 

4 - You'll get a screen telling you what you will be able to change and a single "Restart" button - press it. 

5 - If your boot drive is BitLocker encrypted, you'll need to enter the recovery key (press return, enter the key in the text box then hit return again - it took me three goes to realize I had to hit return before I could enter they key !) 

6 - You'll be given a menu of options, number 7 disables driver signature enforcement 

7 - When the PC restarts, use Device manager to update the drivers - this time you'll get a warning about the signature, but they install fine. 

8 - When you've finished, restart normally to re-enable signature enforcement
BRike
Beginner

Yep, that worked for me. Thanks! Glad to hear Intel is lazy like my little company in not getting their drivers registered with Microsoft!

0 Kudos
fdsa98
Beginner

I'm having no luck installing drivers for a DE10-Lite demo board on windows 10.

I've tried two computers and both end with the exact same message:

"Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them", "A problem was encountered while attempting to add the driver to the store".

I tried one option for eliminating driver signing (command line) and tried the advanced restart settings suggestion above but that ended with a bricked computer and a call to IT to get a bitlocker key.  I'm not trying it again.

Are there any updates to this problem?

0 Kudos
Fancellu
Novice

2021, this is still the case.  Astonishing that they ship drivers that will simply not work for 99% of win10 users

The drivers in Quartus 20.1 are unsigned

I attach screenshot of what my Windows 10 says

Doesn't even complain about hash, just says no. 

Had to turn off driver signing enforcement, then worked fine via JTag 

0 Kudos
fdsa98
Beginner

Yep that's exactly the message I get.

Specifically how did you disable driver signing?

0 Kudos
Fancellu
Novice

https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-device-driver-signing

Option 2. 

When you install driver after that, it will warn you and ask if you are sure.

I even went and bought another USB Blaster, thinking that mine was faulty!

Thanks Intel!!!

fdsa98
Beginner

Did you try option 1?

I tried both.  The first didn't seem to work though I'll try again.  The second bricked my computer.  If you have an encrypted drive you need the encryption key to use option 2.  IT fixed it but I'm not doing it again.

0 Kudos
Fancellu
Novice

Option 1 did nothing for me

I don't have an encrypted drive for Option 2 was fine, for me

Of course the real answer is for Intel to release proper signed s/w

If I'd paid for Quartus and couldn't get it working because of broken drivers I'd be furious

Maybe see if you can get a human from Intel to help

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources.html

https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US

0 Kudos
Fancellu
Novice

@fdsa98 Try these older signed drivers

Depka
Beginner
When i completed the Quartus lite 20.1 installation, i got an error in the driver wizard . Can some one help me resolve this?
0 Kudos
Fancellu
Novice

Look back up the thread. 

Latest intel usb blaster drivers are not signed.

0 Kudos
Depka
Beginner

I tried using the above drivers but got the same error .

0 Kudos
TScho16
Beginner

I had the same problem. Finally, i solved it by installing a driver of a previous Quartus version. I used the driver of the following site:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/File:Usb_blaster_q16.1.zip

The site is linked here:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/Altera_USB_Blaster_Driver_Installation_Instructions 

MRigh4
Beginner
After last windows update I have the same problem. Previously the programmer worked fine... now Quartus doesn’t recognize it anymore... My drive requires a key for bitlocker, therefore I’d prefer not to try option 2 (I haven’t tried option 1 since all says that it does not work). Does anyone have another solution?
0 Kudos
MRigh4
Beginner

Solved, the driver at the link in the post of TScho16 worked fine. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Bettlejuice
Beginner
0 Kudos
PowersOf12
Beginner

Excellent instructions. First my new Eval kit didn't blink lights on first power up like it was supposed to, then the first run of Quartus Lite V20 required Admin permission (Run as Administrator), then the driver was not signed and this helped. What a mess trying to get a demo going on my latest Win 10 with their latest software but I now have blinky lights (on to real code).

0 Kudos