Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

about external pll in lvds_rx and lvds_tx

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am new to lvds mega in quartus . i wanna know that what is the difference between using internal pll and external pll,since there is an option in the lvds_tx, lvds_rx general pannel. which kind configuration is easier and more stable? and my device is ep2c35. 

thanks ! 

yu.p
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

i am new to lvds mega in quartus . i wanna know that what is the difference between using internal pll and external pll,since there is an option in the lvds_tx, lvds_rx general pannel. which kind configuration is easier and more stable? and my device is ep2c35. 

thanks ! 

yu.p 

--- Quote End ---  

Use the internal PLL unless you need to dynamically controller the PLL parameters. The default configuration takes care of the timing analysis constraints. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Use the internal PLL unless you need to dynamically controller the PLL parameters. The default configuration takes care of the timing analysis constraints. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks dave!Our board have been made that the inclk ports are not drawn out. So i cann't use the internal pll of the lvds mega, and the internal pll of lvds mega needs a inlck to feed the pll. 

I will try the external pll . 

Thanks ! 

yu.p
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Our board have been made that the inclk ports are not drawn out. So i cann't use the internal pll of the lvds mega, and the internal pll of lvds mega needs a inlck to feed the pll. 

I will try the external pll . 

--- Quote End ---  

The altlvds component with PLL or with external PLL uses the same PLL component within the FPGA. If you have not routed a global clock input on your board, then you are in trouble. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The altlvds component with PLL or with external PLL uses the same PLL component within the FPGA. If you have not routed a global clock input on your board, then you are in trouble. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks ! i know that no matter internal or external plls i used in altlvds, they are the pll in the FPGA. And now, I send the data and the fast clock of altlvds_tx to the altlvds_rx. The connection is tx_inclk ------> rx_inclk, tx_out----------------> rx_in.The altlvds works, but the data received is not right. 

Any suggestion to solve the problem ? And could my method work well ? 

Thanks dave! 

yu.p
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I send the data and the fast clock of altlvds_tx to the altlvds_rx. The connection is tx_inclk ------> rx_inclk, tx_out----------------> rx_in.The altlvds works, but the data received is not right. 

Any suggestion to solve the problem ? And could my method work well ? 

--- Quote End ---  

If you do it right, it will work well. 

Have you simulated your design in Modelsim? 

Are you sending a frame clock to frame your LVDS data? For example, if you are serializing 8:1, and then deserializing 1:8, you should be sending a frame clock that is 1/8th of the data rate. 

Have you ensured that your LVDS receivers have terminations? 

Cheers. 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you do it right, it will work well. 

Have you simulated your design in Modelsim? 

Are you sending a frame clock to frame your LVDS data? For example, if you are serializing 8:1, and then deserializing 1:8, you should be sending a frame clock that is 1/8th of the data rate. 

Have you ensured that your LVDS receivers have terminations? 

Cheers. 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Is the frame clock you mentioned above the tx_syncclock in altlvds? 

i send it.And the LVDS have terminations.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is the frame clock you mentioned above the tx_syncclock in altlvds? 

i send it.And the LVDS have terminations. 

--- Quote End ---  

You should really read the altlvds MegaCore users guide: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_altlvds.pdf 

and simulate the component in Modelsim. Getting it to work there will show you what the clocks need to be. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You should really read the altlvds MegaCore users guide: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_altlvds.pdf 

and simulate the component in Modelsim. Getting it to work there will show you what the clocks need to be. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks Dave! 

i have almost tried every option to apply altlvds, i recived the data,but the data and the clock had some phase difference. And at last, I gave up the altlvds, and wrote one by myself. Now ,it works well. 

Thanks again! 

yu.p
0 Kudos