Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

altera_installer.external ERROR

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! I tried to install Quartus with altera_installer for Linux. I started altera_installer.external.sh with command sh ./altera_installer.external.sh from download folder. 

Creating directory bin 

Verifying archive integrity... All good. 

Uncompressing Altera Installer....................................................................................................................................... 

eval: 1: ./altera_installer_gui: not found 

File altera_installer_gui existing in bin folder that was created after sh ./altera_installer.external.sh in download folder. Operation system Ubuntu 10.04 amd64. Can you help me??? 

i've tried chmod +x command
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you read any of the posts on Ubuntu? 

www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31426 

www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33857 

There's plenty of other failure modes. 

Why not use a newer version of Ubuntu, or use Centos 6.2? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Quartus II 11.0 SP1 on Ubuntu 11.10 amd64. My take is that Altera only tested v11 only on Red Hat. I've gotten everything I need to work, but it required a bit of messing around.  

I don't remember exactly all the things I did, but I do remember that (1) the installer assumes bash, but doesn't indicate it explicitly on the shebang, (2) there was something about the linux64 and linux directories - Altera Web edition doesn't support 64 Bit, but the apps still try to reference the 64 bit libraries, and (3) I had to use a script to set up the environment properly (PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH), especially for Nios II EDS.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sudo sh altera_installer.external.sh

And the shell environment seemed important also. I had to use Gnome shell. I followed a guide online for Ubuntu 12.04LTS, QII 12.1sp1 B213 and Modelsim ASE: Google "chehsunliu quartus" 

I'm also on AMD64.
0 Kudos