Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

can FPGA act as database?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am doing an image processing project and i am using DE1-SoC board..My doubt is how can I use FPGA as an database.(I want to measure image data from camera and compare to predefined stored value and then displays the corresponding result)..Is it possible in this board? If possible means please help me and give some materials.. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean with database? If you onky compare with constants or a constant number of previous images you can use registers and ram. Are trying to port software?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, it is perfectly possible, if you get the architecture correct. 

If you only want one image stored, then you can probably use the on-chip memory. For multiple images, you will need some external storage, as FPGAs only have a few MB of ram. 

But why not elaborate on your architecture? there are many companies that have being doing image processing with FPGAs for many years.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not storing any images in on chip memory..I just store the values like length,width,etc like excel format and take image from camera and doing some process in that image and automatically measure the values like length,width,etc,,..Then compared with the stored value and displays the corresponding output in monitor or any other display..Is it possible to do that in fpga board.?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many things are possible, if done in the correct way. WHat you are suggesting sounds pretty reasonable. But where would the values come from? I assume they would be provided by a host?

0 Kudos