Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

clock signal used as data

mappy5
Beginner

I got an error when compiling the RTL provided by the 3rd IP vendor.

Verilog HDL or VHDL error at [~rtlfile name~](line) : unsupported use of clock signal 'clk' , clock used as data

Pointed out for the following code

always @(posedge clk )begin

if( clk == 1'b1) begin                    <---Error line

~~~~

Is the only way to avoid the error is to fix the RTL?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If this is IP from a 3rd party (especially if you purchased it), you should point out the error to them.  Yes, that code should be edited.  posedge already implies that the clock is high.  That if check is unnecessary.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If this is IP from a 3rd party (especially if you purchased it), you should point out the error to them.  Yes, that code should be edited.  posedge already implies that the clock is high.  That if check is unnecessary.  

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi,

Could you kindly share the non confidential design file and steps on how to reproduce the error so that I can duplicate the error from my end and come up with possible fix.

Regards,

Pavee

0 Kudos
mappy5
Beginner

Hi, 

I understand that the RTL needs to be fixed.

I don't think it is necessary to share the RTL because I know how to fix it.

I wanted to hear if there was a workaround in the Quartus assign option , but I understand that it doesn't , so I'll close it.

0 Kudos
Paveetirra_Srie
Employee

Hi,

Yes, you're correct. There's no Quartus assignment for RTL fix. Since you have the solution to fix the error , I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you.

Regards,

Pavee

0 Kudos