Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18979 Discussions

confuse on family and devices to start my work

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, 

i want to design a Pseudo Random Number Generator on Quartus II software, but i have no idea on which family and device i need to setting up 

anyone can give me a suggest on which one need to choose??? 

Appreciate for your helping
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

To choose the device (be it CPLD or FPGA) you need to have a good idea on how much logic density you need, the number of IOs that you're design will require and the Speed/Clock requirements. Will the device or kit you want to use be re-purposed later for other applications? If you're going to use it only for this single purpose, you could go ahead with Intel CPLDs/FPGAs like MAX 10.  

On the other hand if the design will be modified for other applications later , you may need to take those designs into consideration and may have to look for larger FPGAs. 

Low cost - Cyclone Series 

Performance - Stratix V, Arria V 

SoC type - Stratix 10, Arria 10, etc. 

Some FPGAs have HPS on-chip (Hardened Processor System) This is an ARM Cortex dual core. You can use these FPGAs to build Embedded applications. Most other FPGAs will have support for the NIOS-II soft core processor. This can also be used for small embedded applications and SOPC designs. 

In short, you need to choose the FPGA/CPLD based on your design requirements like I/O , Logic, Speed , etc. For simple applications, you can look at CPLDs, while for more complex designs go for FPGAs.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

To choose the device (be it CPLD or FPGA) you need to have a good idea on how much logic density you need, the number of IOs that you're design will require and the Speed/Clock requirements. Will the device or kit you want to use be re-purposed later for other applications? If you're going to use it only for this single purpose, you could go ahead with Intel CPLDs/FPGAs like MAX 10.  

On the other hand if the design will be modified for other applications later , you may need to take those designs into consideration and may have to look for larger FPGAs. 

Low cost - Cyclone Series 

Performance - Stratix V, Arria V 

SoC type - Stratix 10, Arria 10, etc. 

Some FPGAs have HPS on-chip (Hardened Processor System) This is an ARM Cortex dual core. You can use these FPGAs to build Embedded applications. Most other FPGAs will have support for the NIOS-II soft core processor. This can also be used for small embedded applications and SOPC designs. 

In short, you need to choose the FPGA/CPLD based on your design requirements like I/O , Logic, Speed , etc. For simple applications, you can look at CPLDs, while for more complex designs go for FPGAs. 

--- Quote End ---  

ok, thanks for your suggestion
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

HI, 

i want to design a Pseudo Random Number Generator on Quartus II software, but i have no idea on which family and device i need to setting up 

anyone can give me a suggest on which one need to choose??? 

Appreciate for your helping 

--- Quote End ---  

If it is a test, than almost any device will do. I'd suggest to go with the smallest device of either Cyclone IV E, Cyclone V E or Cyclone 10 LP series.