Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20677 Discussions

confuse on family and devices to start my work

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, 

i want to design a Pseudo Random Number Generator on Quartus II software, but i have no idea on which family and device i need to setting up 

anyone can give me a suggest on which one need to choose??? 

Appreciate for your helping
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

To choose the device (be it CPLD or FPGA) you need to have a good idea on how much logic density you need, the number of IOs that you're design will require and the Speed/Clock requirements. Will the device or kit you want to use be re-purposed later for other applications? If you're going to use it only for this single purpose, you could go ahead with Intel CPLDs/FPGAs like MAX 10.  

On the other hand if the design will be modified for other applications later , you may need to take those designs into consideration and may have to look for larger FPGAs. 

Low cost - Cyclone Series 

Performance - Stratix V, Arria V 

SoC type - Stratix 10, Arria 10, etc. 

Some FPGAs have HPS on-chip (Hardened Processor System) This is an ARM Cortex dual core. You can use these FPGAs to build Embedded applications. Most other FPGAs will have support for the NIOS-II soft core processor. This can also be used for small embedded applications and SOPC designs. 

In short, you need to choose the FPGA/CPLD based on your design requirements like I/O , Logic, Speed , etc. For simple applications, you can look at CPLDs, while for more complex designs go for FPGAs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

To choose the device (be it CPLD or FPGA) you need to have a good idea on how much logic density you need, the number of IOs that you're design will require and the Speed/Clock requirements. Will the device or kit you want to use be re-purposed later for other applications? If you're going to use it only for this single purpose, you could go ahead with Intel CPLDs/FPGAs like MAX 10.  

On the other hand if the design will be modified for other applications later , you may need to take those designs into consideration and may have to look for larger FPGAs. 

Low cost - Cyclone Series 

Performance - Stratix V, Arria V 

SoC type - Stratix 10, Arria 10, etc. 

Some FPGAs have HPS on-chip (Hardened Processor System) This is an ARM Cortex dual core. You can use these FPGAs to build Embedded applications. Most other FPGAs will have support for the NIOS-II soft core processor. This can also be used for small embedded applications and SOPC designs. 

In short, you need to choose the FPGA/CPLD based on your design requirements like I/O , Logic, Speed , etc. For simple applications, you can look at CPLDs, while for more complex designs go for FPGAs. 

--- Quote End ---  

ok, thanks for your suggestion
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

HI, 

i want to design a Pseudo Random Number Generator on Quartus II software, but i have no idea on which family and device i need to setting up 

anyone can give me a suggest on which one need to choose??? 

Appreciate for your helping 

--- Quote End ---  

If it is a test, than almost any device will do. I'd suggest to go with the smallest device of either Cyclone IV E, Cyclone V E or Cyclone 10 LP series.
0 Kudos