Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

for Cyclone V, Can't configure EPCS64 by .jic file using USB blaster.

ZLu001
Novice

.sof is OK,

for Cyclone IV and EPCS16 is OK.

For Cyclone V and EPCS64, all MSEL pins are grounded.

Error message: "Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1. A device's silicon ID is different from its JTAG ID. Verify that all cables are securely connected, select a different device, or check the power on the target system. Make sure the device pins are connected and configured correctly."

Can USB blaster be used to program EPCS64 using .pof file when MSEL pin configured as AS mode(MSEL[4:0]=10010)?

Thanks thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, May I know if you are using blaster directly connected to the EPCS64 flash using Active Serial interface? If yes then it is possible. If you are using JTAG connection then you cannot use POF file. You can only use JIC file to configure the EPCS device through FPGA.
0 Kudos
ZLu001
Novice

Hi, John

Yes, I used blaster II . it is the same operation like used for Cyclone IV with all MSEL pins grounded.

I have used it for 8 years for cyclone IV. recently I upgraded to Cyclone V and met the problem above.

currently, work by .sof is OK.

by the way, If I change to use .pof file, what configuring tools can be used or any other configuring method can be used?

My project was delayed by this problem.

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, You mention that you are using blaster and work okay with sof file. May I know if you only connect it to JTAG interface? If you would like to use pof file, then you will need to be able to connect the blaster to the Active Serial interface in order to directly configure the flash.
0 Kudos
ZLu001
Novice

Hi, John

my board only has a 10pin JTAG interface.

according to the picture below, I connect all the MSEL pins to the ground.

EPCS64_MSELpins.png

Do I need to connect these pins according to the pic below?

EPCS64_MSELpins_2.png

may the connection be wrong?

next time I can connect the MSEL pins to10010, but in that case, can I use the same blaster to programm the chip using either .jic or .pof file?

thank you very much for the help.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

HI,

You need to change the MSEL to AS configuration scheme. Then you will be able to use .jic file to access the flash. POF file is not supported using JTAG interface.

0 Kudos
ZLu001
Novice

I am a little confused by the sentences circled below.EPCS64_MSELpins.pngCycloneIV_Jtag_connection.png

JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, I think the 1st picture is refering to Cyclone FPGA which is Cyclone I. While the 2nd picture refer to the Cyclone V FPGA. I would recommend you to follow the document for Cyclone V FPGA.
0 Kudos
ZLu001
Novice

Thanks

0 Kudos