Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20677 Discussions

hexout versus jic delta in arria V epcs128

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We are writing our flash device with the contents of the .hexout file (bit reversed across 8bit words). this is working fine on the arria 2 devices but not so well on the arria 5. We are bit banging on a gpio port through a mux into the epcs128. 

The only way to get the flash programmed correctly, where the part will boot up in AS mode, is to load the flash from the .jic file. 

After dumping the contents of the flash to see what changed we see a 0ne nibble offset, which we cannot explain, and it does not match the .rbf file. 

Anyone else dealt with this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a similar problem with generating hex files for Cyclone V remote update. My update logic which was used with Cyclone III before depends on checking the image header checksum which simply didn't work with Cyclone V hexout due to format changes. My solution was to convert the jic file to hex. The source is appended "as is". It extracts the hex file from a production image jic ant that uses a non-zero start address by default.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks FvM. I also filed a ticket and was instructed to use the .rpd file which work well without modification, except for bit reversal per byte.

0 Kudos