Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

how to download configure file in the flash by FPGA device itself

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there is a problem of how to download configure file in the flash by fpga device itself。 

there is my opinion as below: 

1. I have already designed a SPI driver which can read and write the EPCS4 . 

2. Use this driver the write the configure data in the EPCS4, 

3. RePower-ON the FPGA device ,then to achieve update the new configure data by itself  

my question.  

1. Is this way OK for update Code by itself? 

2. but there is a problem of the configure file(.rbf or .hexout),which was declared OK for configure by third microprocessor. 

i have read out all the data in the EPCS4 from 000000 to the end ,and compare those data with .rbf file showing data,then i found there is not only the LSB load first different but also same addresss load different data,so i think the configure data was loaded in a complex way which i don't know. 

3. how does third mircoprocessor to load the data in EPCS4?  

4. what is the structure of those configure file
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

People are often confused with the bit order in serial flash (LSB first while flash commands are MSB first).  

The Altera SRUNNER project is describing embedded programming of serial flash. 

You can use the altasmi_parallel Megafunction to access the serial flash from the FPGA fabric.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi FVM! 

i just want to let the FPGA cover the EPCS4 data with the new one by itself. 

but i don't know whether all of the .rpd data were need to be download or some of them?  

and i always quite doubt why there are some different bettwen .rpd file data with EPCS4 stored data,(not only reversal)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

People are often confused with the bit order in serial flash (LSB first while flash commands are MSB first).  

The Altera SRUNNER project is describing embedded programming of serial flash. 

You can use the altasmi_parallel Megafunction to access the serial flash from the FPGA fabric. 

--- Quote End ---  

sorry i make a mistake! 

there are some different bettwen .rbf file data with EPCS4 stored data,(not only reversal) 

rpd file data are same with EPCS4 stored data after be reversed. 

i am curious why .rpd file was different with .rbf file
0 Kudos