Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

image read in vhdl

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i want to read an image (or preferably a matrix of size 8x8) pixel by pixel in one clock cycle(if rising edge then read one pixel in 2nd rising edge 2nd pixel)....thanks in advance

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And what is your question?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like a normal project. Whats the problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have got the code to extract row wise in each clock cycle.... How to extract pixel by pixel in each clock cycle.....and store it in another matrix.... 

i have to do Discrete wavelet transform on images by lifting scheme.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my project is to perform discrete wavelet transform of image...for which i have to implement lifting scheme on image...which needs to extract even and odd pixels of the respective image.....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

i have got the code to extract row wise in each clock cycle.... How to extract pixel by pixel in each clock cycle.....and store it in another matrix.... 

i have to do Discrete wavelet transform on images by lifting scheme. 

--- Quote End ---  

Use a counter as the index into the array? 

Why not try and code this yourself and we can help with problems? we are not going to do your work for you...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Use a counter as the index into the array? 

Why not try and code this yourself and we can help with problems? we are not going to do your work for you... 

--- Quote End ---  

i have done some modifications in the code....please help with the code 

package newtype is type row_t is array(0 to 3) of integer; type matrix_t is array(0 to 3, 0 to 3) of integer; type row_pixel is array (0 to 0) of integer; end newtype; --function to extract each pixels of a row function extract_row_pixel(row1 : row_t; pixel : integer) return row_pixel is variable ret_pixel : row_pixel; begin for i in 0 downto 3 loop ret_pixel(i) := row1(pixel, i);------error is Type integer is not an array type and cannot be indexed. end loop; return ret_pixel; ------error is Expecting type row_pixel for <ret_pixel>. end function; if rising_edge(clk) then temp_row_pixel <= extract_row_pixel (output, to_integer(count)); count <= count + 1; output1 <= temp_row_pixel; end if;  

error is :
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For a start, this is never going to work. It looks like you're trying to write sofware. This is clearly not the full code as there are lots of things missing (like a process, architecture, etity etc). 

So errors in your code: row_pixel is an array of length 1. Your for loop also never executes as you have 0 downto 3 (a null range).  

I suggest you go back to the drawing board - literally. DRAW your intended circuit on paper before you write any VHDL. VHDL is a hardware description language. Not a programming language. Writing code like software will not work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

For a start, this is never going to work. It looks like you're trying to write sofware. This is clearly not the full code as there are lots of things missing (like a process, architecture, etity etc). 

So errors in your code: row_pixel is an array of length 1. Your for loop also never executes as you have 0 downto 3 (a null range).  

I suggest you go back to the drawing board - literally. DRAW your intended circuit on paper before you write any VHDL. VHDL is a hardware description language. Not a programming language. Writing code like software will not work. 

--- Quote End ---  

---main code package newtype is type row_t is array(0 to 3) of integer; type matrix_t is array(0 to 3, 0 to 3) of integer; type row_pixel is array (0 to 0) of integer; end newtype; library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; use work.newtype.all; entity test is port(input: in matrix_t; clk: in std_logic; output : inout row_t; output1 : out row_pixel); end test; architecture arch of test is signal matrix : matrix_t; signal temp_row : row_t; signal temp_row_pixel : row_pixel; signal count : unsigned(1 downto 0) := "00"; --signal output: row_t; --function to extract rows function extract_row( m : matrix_t; row : integer) return row_t is variable ret : row_t; begin for i in row_t'range loop ret(i) := m(row, i); end loop; return ret; end function; --function to extract each pixels of a row function extract_row_pixel(row1 : row_t; pixel : integer) return row_pixel is variable ret_pixel : row_pixel; begin for i in 0 to 3 loop ret_pixel(i) := row1(pixel, i); end loop; return ret_pixel; end function; begin process(clk) begin if rising_edge(clk) then temp_row <= extract_row( input, to_integer(count) ); count <= count + 1; output <= temp_row; temp_row_pixel <= extract_row_pixel (output, to_integer(count)); count <= count + 1; output1 <= temp_row_pixel; end if; end process; end arch; ---testbench library IEEE; use IEEE.Std_logic_1164.all; use IEEE.Numeric_Std.all; use work.newtype.all; entity test_tb is end; architecture bench of test_tb is component test port(input: in matrix_t; clk: in std_logic; output : inout row_t; output1 : out row_pixel); end component; signal input: matrix_t; signal clk: std_logic; signal output: row_t; signal output1 : row_pixel; constant clock_period: time := 10 ns; signal stop_the_clock: boolean; begin uut: test port map ( input => input, clk => clk , output => output, output1 => output); stimulus: process begin input <= ((0,1,2,9), (3,5,6,10), (9,8,11,2), (9,7,1,6)); wait for 50ns; stop_the_clock <= true; wait; end process; clocking: process begin while not stop_the_clock loop clk <= '1', '0' after clock_period / 2; wait for clock_period; end loop; wait; end process; end;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why bother declaring row_pixel at all? its just an array of length 1, why not just return an integer? 

Why are you using an inout for output? this is bad practice 

the error is here: 

for i in 0 to 3 loop 

ret_pixel(i) := row1(pixel, i); 

end loop; 

ret_pixel is a row_pixel type with a range 0 to 0. Your loop is going out of range.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And why not just the count signal to access into the image?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why bother declaring row_pixel at all? its just an array of length 1, why not just return an integer? 

Why are you using an inout for output? this is bad practice 

the error is here: 

for i in 0 to 3 loop 

ret_pixel(i) := row1(pixel, i); 

end loop; 

ret_pixel is a row_pixel type with a range 0 to 0. Your loop is going out of range. 

--- Quote End ---  

what should i write if i have to extract each value from the row (output) in each clock cycle....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what about something simple like this? 

signal row, col : unsigned(1 downto 0) := "00"; process(clk) begin if rising_edge(clk) begin output <= input(to_integer(row), to_integer(col)); col <= col + 1; if col = "11" then row <= row + 1; end if; end if; end if;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to follow this algorithm : 

d(n)=output(2n+1)-(1/2)[output(2n)+output(2n+2)] 

where output is an array consisting of 64 values... 

after each clock cycle d(n) gets a definite value based on calculation 

so according to this algorithm d(n) must contain 31 values... 

---main code 

package newtype is 

type row_t is array(0 to 63) of integer; 

type approx_t is array(0 to 30) of integer; 

type matrix_t is array(0 to 7, 0 to 7) of integer; 

end newtype; 

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; 

use ieee.numeric_std.all; 

use work.newtype.all; 

entity test is 

port(input: in matrix_t; 

clk: in std_logic; 

output : inout row_t; 

d : out approx_t); 

end test; 

architecture arch of test is  

signal matrix : matrix_t; 

signal temp_row : integer; 

signal temp_approx : integer; 

signal i : unsigned(5 downto 0) := "000000"; 

signal n : unsigned(4 downto 0) := "00000"; 

signal count : unsigned(6 downto 0) := "0000000"; 

signal limit : unsigned (6 downto 0) := "1111111"; 

signal row, col : unsigned(2 downto 0) := "000"; 

begin 

process(clk) 

begin 

if rising_edge(clk) then 

temp_row <= input(to_integer(row), to_integer(col)); 

output(to_integer(i)) <=temp_row; 

col <= col + 1; 

if col = "111" then  

row <= row + 1; 

end if; 

i<=i+1; 

count <= count + 1; -----here i am trying to waste some clock cycles, because after few clock cycles only required number of outputs will be available for operation. 

if count >= limit then  

temp_approx <= output(2*((to_integer(n)))+1)-0.5*(output(2*((to_integer(n))))+output(2*((to_integer(n)))+2));--error: Found 0 definitions for operator "*" 

d(to_integer(n)) <= temp_approx; 

n<= n+1; 

end if; 

end if; 

end process; 

end arch; 

---testbench 

library IEEE; 

use IEEE.Std_logic_1164.all; 

use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; 

use IEEE.Numeric_Std.all; 

use work.newtype.all; 

entity test_tb is 

end; 

architecture bench of test_tb is 

component test 

output : inout row_t; 

end component; 

signal input: matrix_t; 

signal clk: std_logic; 

signal output: row_t; 

signal d: approx_t; 

constant clock_period: time := 0.1ns; 

signal stop_the_clock: boolean; 

begin 

uut: test port map ( input => input, 

clk => clk , 

output => output); 

stimulus: process 

begin 

input <= ((0,1,2,9,10,5,8,4), (3,5,6,10,2,9,10,5), (9,8,11,2,10,2,9,10), (9,7,1,6,10,2,9,10),(1,4,5,3,6,10,8,9),(14,2,3,5,6,7,8,9),(9,7,1,6,10,2,9,10),(12,4,7,8,9,2,12,0)); 

wait for 50ns; 

stop_the_clock <= true; 

wait; 

end process; 

clocking: process 

begin 

while not stop_the_clock loop 

clk <= '1', '0' after clock_period /2; 

wait for clock_period; 

end loop; 

wait; 

end process; 

end; 

error is : Found 0 definitions for operator "*". 

please tell where is the mistake ?? Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you cannot multiply unsigned type and real type (0.5). Real type is not suitable for synthesis. Try /2 instead. 

But I still think you have real issues with your architecture. It is very inefficient and written as if it was software. Why do you have to "waste" clock cycles? 

Also - what external interfaces are you using? I doubt there are enough pins to output an entire 8x8 array - so why not do the calcualtions serially? 

Have you drawn out your circuit on paper?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

wasting clock cycles means the algorithm should start after some defined clock cycles 

yes i have drawn circuit on paper... the thing is i am trying to do the project first on a small matrix of 8x8... if the algorithm works properly then i will implement with the complete 512x512 image
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

With a 512x512 image - you need to use ram. There will not be enough resources to store an entire image in registers (and it would take forever to compile). 

You need to rethink your design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

With a 512x512 image - you need to use ram. There will not be enough resources to store an entire image in registers (and it would take forever to compile). 

You need to rethink your design. 

--- Quote End ---  

I understand that sir completely... But currently i have to work with a small matrix only...once algorithm is developed it is not very difficult to apply it to a full size image.. 

(i have generated the hex file of the image from MATLAB, all i need is to load each value from that file with every clock cycle, hence i am trying to develop the code for algorithm first...)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes temp_aprrox, output gets reasonable values . 

and yes row and col are correct at the correct times. 

only problem is with "d"....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you have replied to the wrong forum - but do you realise that D will only take 1 value every 128 clocks, so it will take 8192 clocks to complete every value in the D array? Until they are set, D(r,c) will have the value -2^31.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have changed the code like this:- 

for 0 to 64 clocks output will be extracted and once clock pulses exceed 64 (i.e., count value exceeds 64) algorithm will start and values will be loaded into d. 

---main code 

package newtype is 

type row_t is array(0 to 63) of integer; 

type matrix_t is array(0 to 7, 0 to 7) of integer; 

type approx_t is array(0 to 30) of integer; 

end newtype; 

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

use ieee.numeric_std.all; 

use work.newtype.all; 

entity test is 

output : inout row_t ; 

end test; 

architecture arch of test is  

signal matrix : matrix_t; 

signal temp_row : integer; 

signal i : unsigned(5 downto 0) := "000000"; 

signal row, col : unsigned(2 downto 0) := "000"; 

signal count : integer := 0; 

signal limit : integer := 64; 

signal n : unsigned(6 downto 0) := "0000000"; 

signal temp_approx : integer; 

begin 

process(clk) 

begin 

if rising_edge(clk) then 

if count < limit then 

temp_row <= input(to_integer(row), to_integer(col)); 

output(to_integer(i)) <=temp_row; 

col <= col + 1; 

if col = "111" then  

row <= row + 1; 

end if; 

i<=i+1; 

else 

temp_approx <= output(2*((to_integer(n)))+2)-(1/2)*(output(2*((to_integer(n)))+1)+output(2*((to_integer(n)))+3)) ; 

d(to_integer(n)) <= temp_approx; 

n<= n+1 ; 

end if; 

count <= count + 1; 

end if; 

end process; 

end arch; 

but still d contains garbage
0 Kudos