Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

infrared

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

plz help me to know how can i use the infrared in FPGA. 

plz plz plz, i'm begging you
0 Kudos
30 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You connect infrared sensor to some ADC. Then you write some code to work in FPGA. 

You dont need to beg any more - question answered.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You connect infrared sensor to some ADC. Then you write some code to work in FPGA. 

You dont need to beg any more - question answered. 

--- Quote End ---  

tank you for your answer :) 

I'm so grateful. 

yeah I did write my code but it doesn't work i don't know why. 

i think i miss some information about FPGA infrared. 

if you can clarify more your answer  

excuse me my english is so bad :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What kind of ADC do you use? Can you post (part of) your code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what do you mean about ADC. 

i need to control a mobil robot with a infrared from FPGA1 to FPGA2 . 

FPGA1:will be the emettor  

FPGA2:will be the receptor 

thanks for your help :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume you are using some type of external IR receiver and transmitter. How is the signal communicated into the FPGA. Usually an analog signal needs to go through an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) because the FPGA can only accept digital signals. So what type of ADC are you using? Or does your external IR device already have a digital output?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your answer . 

FPGA has already infrared emptor and receptor . 

i guess i don't need ADC.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you can just give me a programme as an example,to know how it work the emission and the reception. 

plz i dont have enough time.plz help me
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to give us more information. What type of FPGA are you using? Is this a demo board? If so, what type of board? What are the model# s? etc. Give us the specs because there is nothing in this thread to go on. This is why we can only give you general answers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FPGA altera cyclone II  

did i answer correctly? 

i'm really sorry, i make the situation hard to resolve :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use the VHDL as programming software

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

where are you people,I'm so unlucky :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well we've gotten most of the info to start, but first what is the type of the IR transmitter and receiver? 

Second, how familiar are you with VHDL? You said you used it as a programming language, but it is not. It describes hardware, and such needing a different way of thinking. But that left aside. We need to know as much information as you can give.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So Cyclone II is a good start. I assume you are using a demo board. The only board with Cyclone II and IR that I know of is the DE2 Terasic board: http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/terasic_de2_usermanual_16.pdf 

This will refer you to microchip's paper: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/groups/sitecomm_sg/documents/training_tutorials/en532270.pdf 

Based on this paper, it looks that the IR sensor is interfaced to the FPGA via a UART handler (MCP215X). So this is good because you only have to worry about the UART. They say the baudrate is 115200. 

So all you need to do is go to Qsys, drop in NIOS ii cpu and UART RS-232 IP. Expose UART-RX and TX. Then write the communication protocol in NIOS using C. 

Here is a very good link with code to use UARTs with interrupts: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17224 

Please confirm which board you are actually using. FPGA development is not easy so keep at it!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So Cyclone II is a good start. I assume you are using a demo board. The only board with Cyclone II and IR that I know of is the DE2 Terasic board: http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/terasic_de2_usermanual_16.pdf 

This will refer you to microchip's paper: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/groups/sitecomm_sg/documents/training_tutorials/en532270.pdf 

Based on this paper, it looks that the IR sensor is interfaced to the FPGA via a UART handler (MCP215X). So this is good because you only have to worry about the UART. They say the baudrate is 115200. 

So all you need to do is go to Qsys, drop in NIOS ii cpu and UART RS-232 IP. Expose UART-RX and TX. Then write the communication protocol in NIOS using C. 

Here is a very good link with code to use UARTs with interrupts: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17224 

Please confirm which board you are actually using. FPGA development is not easy so keep at it! 

--- Quote End ---  

yes i 'm using this demo board,i'm using VHDL as programing language.i want to know how to programe the infrared HSDL-3201
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to provide a circuit diagram as well. How is HSDL-3201 connected to the FPGA? Are the RXD and TXD pins connected directly to the FPGA or is there something in between? 

If they are directly connected then you just need to look at HSDL's datasheet and replicate its communication protocol.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well we've gotten most of the info to start, but first what is the type of the IR transmitter and receiver? 

Second, how familiar are you with VHDL? You said you used it as a programming language, but it is not. It describes hardware, and such needing a different way of thinking. But that left aside. We need to know as much information as you can give. 

--- Quote End ---  

the type of IR is HSDL-3201. 

i know how to use VHDL.i'm working on FPGA (demo board) 

http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/terasic_de2_usermanual_16.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera already provides the IrDA UART IP core. You can find it in Qsys. ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/14.1/university_program_ip_cores/communications/irda.pdf 

Are you trying to create your own hardware driver for it?? It would involve reading the RXD and TXD signals and then decoding them into a UART byte stream. Not the most complicated task, but it isn't easy either. Why don't you just use the pre-made Altera IP. This way you can get your 2 FPGA's talking via IrDA w/o too much development. 

You still need to use Nios and do some C coding.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera already provides the IrDA UART IP core. You can find it in Qsys. ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/14.1/university_program_ip_cores/communications/irda.pdf 

Are you trying to create your own hardware driver for it?? It would involve reading the RXD and TXD signals and then decoding them into a UART byte stream. Not the most complicated task, but it isn't easy either. Why don't you just use the pre-made Altera IP. This way you can get your 2 FPGA's talking via IrDA w/o too much development. 

You still need to use Nios and do some C coding. 

--- Quote End ---  

FPGA already contains the infrared component each FPGA contains (emeteur / receiver) 

and there are pines inputs and output for that we can affect the data 

I just need to know! how I'm going to program this component and i should use VHDL as programming language 

tanks so so so so much for your help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You see you have two pins from the tranceiver, so from this you can derrive you will have to send the data trough a serial protocol. This protocol is discussed in the datasheet of the transceiver. You can find this by searching the web for the transceiver (Agilent HSDL-3201). So now you need to design the hardware to control this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You see you have two pins from the tranceiver, so from this you can derrive you will have to send the data trough a serial protocol. This protocol is discussed in the datasheet of the transceiver. You can find this by searching the web for the transceiver (Agilent HSDL-3201). So now you need to design the hardware to control this. 

--- Quote End ---  

I do not know how to create the frame that I will send from the transmitter to the receiver. 

should I create a pulse after the frequency dividers to use it as a frame?
0 Kudos