Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

make_flash_image_script not working on Win7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professiona 64 bitl. I have a NIOS II project from a few years back that uses the Advanced Boot Copier, a custom boot loader provided by Altera (see http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-alt-boot-methods.html). The software includes a "make_flash_image_script.sh" that will package you .elf file into a boot record that is recognizable to the boot copier. All this works fine in WinXP. However, on Win7 I keep getting "Permission Denied" errors. 

Specifically, when script call the following utility: 

nios2-elf-strip --remove-section=.entry $tmp0_outfile_elf ; 

I get an error message: 

c:\altera\12.0\nios2eds\bin\gnu\H-i686-mingw32\bin\nios2-elf-strip.exe:PCI_Test.elf.tmp.elf: Permission denied 

I run the Nios II Command Shell in Administrative mode and I have set the permissions to Full Control in the properties for "make_flash_image_script.sh". Yet I continue to get the same error. I can take this same script and .elf file to my WinXP pc and it runs with no problems. I need this script to work on Win7. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I would appreciate any help as I'm hitting my head against the wall at this point. 

Thanks, 

Kantoroi
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone else tried using nios2-elf-strip.exe in Win7? Has anyone else run into a similar issue using nios2 utilities and/or scripts with Wiindows 7?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On Windows 7 I am using the GCC4 Toolchain (Nios2 Command Shell) as opposed to GCC3 on my WinXP machine. Could the GCC4 Toolchain have something to do with it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having the same problem in Win 7 with nios2-elf-strip. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having the same problem in Win 7

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I faced to same probrem in Win7 when I put make_flash_image_script.sh, make_header.pl and read_flash_image.pl in the nios2eds > bin. 

But I tried to put make_flash_image_script.sh, make_header.pl and read_flash_image.pl in same directory as elf file, I was successful.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I faced to same probrem in Win7 when I put make_flash_image_script.sh, make_header.pl and read_flash_image.pl in the nios2eds > bin. 

But I tried to put make_flash_image_script.sh, make_header.pl and read_flash_image.pl in same directory as elf file, I was successful. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, but I have not found file read_flash_image.pl in my comp (altera>>91sp2)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem with the Win7 I tried making new folder and placing all it required files (make_all_and_flash_images_script, make_all_flash_images_script, make_boot_flash_image_script, make_flash_image_script, make_header.pl, read_flash_image.pl) in that folder along with .elf file and also tried by giving full permissions to the command shell. But also unable to solve the problem. Can anyone please help me out with this error. I also attached my command shell picture with error displayed in it. Please do let me know is there any way to solve this. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Paste command "chmod 777 -R ." in your *.sh file appropritelly

0 Kudos