Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

max10 wrong pin number information on pdf

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After developing my IP core and testing on a development board I built my board. 

I designed footprint and symbol on cad then I made the artwork, sent to manufacturing now board doesn't work. 

After reworking the first 10M50SC and measuring short circuit where removed from I placed a fresh new 10M08SC to test board. Again VCC and GND where shorted near MAX10. 

I got the original PDF document double checked again the pinout and all is fine. 

I searched for errata but nothing mention errata on this document: 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/dp/max-10/10m40sc.pdf 

SO I damaged one SC50 and reworking maybe damage SC08 too plus I have a lot of 15 multilayer PCB, sampling cost and a lot of time lost with many issue to be addressed and remake... 

Before to waste more money and time I need be sure in first document and Quartus information are good: 

https://www.altera.com/support/literature/lit-dp.html#max-10 

Why PDF are not the same data on xls and text? 

after cross checking quartus and xls are aligned but not pdf, yellow cells are differing from, EEE signify all equals D is where difference is detected so only PDF differ from quartus: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12659&stc=1
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update, comparing data 04 and 08 are the same pinout, 40 50 differ from so vertical migration is not true, why pin compatibility is not mantained across same case where I/O are same?? This resulta trouble too, I needed develop usingg large device then mount an SC04 or SC08 on final deviice but now pcb cannot accept it. 

Original issue probably was just a short circuit under the qfp or max10 defective, I try place on a test socket to investigate but it was exposed to 290°C when reflowed for rework... NOw board need another rework and replacement of expensive 50SC part.. DAMN!!! 

Checked 02SC 04SC 08SC 40SC 50SC, appear Altera made 3 different series on same package: 

02SC is just compatible itself and not with other members. 

04 08 are compatible thru 25, only 04 08 checked, 

40 50 are exchangeable themselves only but not with other member of SC series.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Checked 02SC 04SC 08SC 40SC 50SC, appear Altera made 3 different series on same package: 

02SC is just compatible itself and not with other members. 

04 08 are compatible thru 25, only 04 08 checked, 

40 50 are exchangeable themselves only but not with other member of SC series. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, as you can see in the M10-Overview document, Figure 2: Migration Capability Across MAX 10 Devices. MAX10 E144 migration compatibility is in fact non mind-blowing. 

Please notice that even devices marked as vertical migration compatible, e.g. Cyclone V E, F484, A2-A9 have several pins with changed function, you either need to let Quartus list the required pin connections for you or determine it yourself by comparing the pinout tables.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, as you can see in the M10-Overview document, Figure 2: Migration Capability Across MAX 10 Devices. MAX10 E144 migration compatibility is in fact non mind-blowing. 

Please notice that even devices marked as vertical migration compatible, e.g. Cyclone V E, F484, A2-A9 have several pins with changed function, you either need to let Quartus list the required pin connections for you or determine it yourself by comparing the pinout tables. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi FvM, thank pointing to Cyclone V too, I analyze them before build board in future release of primary board. 

About MAX10 the more annoying is not on signal assignment but on power pin completely incompatible. 

So 02 device is out of usability due is too far from selection strap... 04..25 to 40 50 with some configurable jumper can be adapted and board with strong effort can be made to accept all series 04-50. 

I am astonished about this strange pinout choice. 

Best regards 

Roberto
0 Kudos