Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

question about dual-purpose pins used as normal I/O

RLee42
Novice

I'm using 10M08SAE144I7 for the new design. Since the normal IO number is not enough for this design, in order to add more IO, I disable all the dual-purpose pins in the device by unticking all the options for dual-purpose pins. I think in this way these pins can be used as normal IO.

With this setting,  I download .sof file to the FPGA, everything works fine. However, if I download .pof file into FPGA, the FPGA doesn't work at all after board reset. I guess maybe some dual-purpose pins can't be used as normal IO but not sure which ones are. Can you tell me which dual-purpose pins definitely can't be used as normal IO?

1.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The option "Enable nCOFIG, nSTATUS, and CONF_DONE pins" is needed for configuration. Can you enable that option and see if it works?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RLee42
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

I've already hard-wired the nCONFIG, CONF_DONE pins to control other components as the output pins, and the nSTATUS  pin as GPIO connecting with another MCU. They are already used as the user I/O on the PCB so I think that option may conflict with the hardware.

However, I've made an experiment that I jumped wire the nCONFIG, CONF_DONE to 3.3v through 10k resistor, then the FPGA can run successfully after reboot. I think these two pins should better be left alone and pull-up for the next version.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for sharing! 

0 Kudos