Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

.sof is not genrated (urgent)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

.sof is not generated. We have used megacore FFT function to build in to an IP of Qsys..it is generated without any error. but when we include this IP in our top level .sof and is not generated even if there is no simulation error.But when we exclude the FFT IP then .sof is generated.What is the problem?PLEASE HELP.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have a look at the assembler report. If the .sof file isn't generated you should have a message there explaining why.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi anik ! 

Did you purchase the megacore FFT IP ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

NO. I did not buy FFT Megacore IP. Assembler report shows no error.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And no warnings? What does it say in the "Assembler Encrypted IP Cores Summary" and "Generated Files" reports?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Will let u know soon..We will have to generat WEe it again..we are using a FULL version quartus not WEB edition but im afraid if its a licensed version or not. Also is there is procedure to folllow before we generate the megacore function..as for example going to the Altera>>IP>>FFT>>then install it or something.. 

Sorry to bother, we are undergrad students and very new in this field.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no, as long as you do all the steps in the megawizard. The last step will give you a list of all the files that are generated, and if you click ok they will be generated. Nothing more to do.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

we can generate some files from this megawizard too..so can we be assured that there is no license issue..or IP buying thing required if some files are generated from the megawizard fft function? 

and why is that when using a fft_wrapper.v file available on the internet we used in our system, .sof is not generated..but when we remove that from both Qsys and our main system's .qip file, .sof is generated.. 

We have tried the codes for a simple mux also, .sof is generated..Just dont know how to approach to this problem. 

thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No the megawizard will still generate the files even if you don't have the license for the FFT core. When you don't have the license the design is compiled in a opencore evaluation mode. With the default settings this means it will generate a time limited .sof (and no .pof), but IIRC there is a setting somewhere that disabled opencore evaluation. In that case if you don't have a license no .sof file will be generated. I had a quick look at Quartus and I can't find this setting any more, I don't remember where Altera hid it. 

But if you could just show your "Assembler Encrypted IP Cores Summary" it should tell if you have a license problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--------------------- 

; Table of Contents ; 

--------------------- 

1. Legal Notice 

2. Assembler Encrypted IP Cores Summary 

+---------------------------------------------------------+ 

; Assembler Encrypted IP Cores Summary ; 

+--------+--------------------------------+--------------+ 

; Vendor ; IP Core Name ; License Type ; 

+--------+-------------------------------+---------------+ 

; Altera ; "FFT" (6AF7 0034) ; Unlicensed ; 

; Altera ; Nios II Processor (6AF7 00A2) ; Licensed; 

; Altera ; Signal Tap (6AF7 BCE1) ; Licensed ; 

+--------+-------------------------------+---------------+ 

So, what is the solution for " Altera ; "FFT" (6AF7 0034); Unlicensed ;" 

Help Us.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you have in the "Messages" section of the assembler report? 

From your screenshot we know that you don't have the license for the FFT core. You can either buy the license, or try your design in evaluation mode. 

I found the setting you need... go to Assignments > Settings > Compilation process settings > More Settings... and check the value for "Disable OpenCore Plus hardware evaluation". If it is "On" then no .sof file will be generated. If it is set to "Off" (the default) then you will have a xxx_time_limited.sof (where xxx is your project name). 

When programming the FPGA with that time limited sof file, you will see a window saying that you are in OpenCore evaluation mode. Don't close that window or the FFT core will stop working.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Assembler Message Shows the following thing: 

1. Info: Running Quartus II 32-bit Assembler 

2. Info: Command: quartus_asm --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off DE0_Nano -c DE0_Nano 

3. Warning (115003): Can't generate programming files for your current project because you do not have a valid license for the following IP core or cores. 

4. Info (115031): Writing out detailed assembly data for power analysis 

5. Info: Quartus II 32-bit Assembler was successful. 0 errors, 36 warnings
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I went to Assignments > Settings > Compilation process settings > More Settings. But initially it was set to OFF. Therefore, it should have generated time_limited.sof. but no .sof is generated. Will you please tell me the procedure of getting license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

also we are using a cracked version i suppose..but it says quartus full version..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is nothing else to do. With that setting to off, Quartus will generate a time limited .sof. 

--- Quote Start ---  

also we are using a cracked version i suppose..but it says quartus full version.. 

--- Quote End ---  

This probably explains it, the crack must have a bugged license system that prevents Opencore from working properly. 

I won't help you make your project work with a cracked version of Quartus. Besides this is really stupid, as you can just download and use the web edition of Quartus, which is free and legal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

one of us have web edition..and also subscribed edition..can we do the same project on those editions?even in there .sof is not generated probably for the IP..because from Terasic they said the megacore IP's have to be bought. but we don't know where to look for it. 

we are trying to get the license but i guess they don't give it to students..they require professor details..or may be they give it to selected institutions as when we were filling up the form with our professor,the email address they wont just take even if that was his legal and valid email address from his institution. 

Sorry..even we know it its wrong to use the cracked software.but we thought in web edition we cant carry out the whole procedure.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can share projects between a subscription and a web edition. You don't need to ask for any IP, as long as the Opencore evaluation mode is active, even a web edition with no licenses will produce a time limited .sof

0 Kudos