Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20691 Discussions

using a FT2232H to load a Cyclone 3

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone have any helpful info regarding using a FTDI2232H to load an Altera FPGA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This has been a topic of interest a lot lately.  

One of our software guys just connected the active serial programming pins of the FPGA to one of the ports on the FTDI chip. Then through the software, he just bit bangs the fpga to load it. It's very fast. I can ask him for more details if you'd like. 

In addition, FvM did the work to discover that the FTDI2232D can be loaded to mimic the one on the BeMicro development kit. Under such a configuration, the FTDI chip looks like a USB Blaster and can be used by the Altera tools to program the FPGA. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I reported the result in this thread: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20490 

Some knowledge about the BeMicro Dev Kit is taken as granted in the discussion. As jakobjones mentioned, there are many ways to access JTAG or AS interfaces with your own software tools. If compatibility with Altera programming tools is required, the choice is restricted. For an USB solution, you have USB Blaster clones and the said Arrow-USB-Blaster way. 

P.S.: I performed the test with older FT2232C revision. I hope, the difference doesn't matter.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

I am planning to configure the MSEL(0..3) FPGA lines as PS (passive serial). 

For FPGA configuration, I will use Bit-Bang to drive and monitor contol/status lines, and write data into FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, PS is usually the best method to load the FPGA configuration by a processor. FT2232H in MPSSE mode should be able to perform at it's maximum speed of 30 MHz when operated at at a high speed USB port.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I meant to indicate passive serial rather than active serial in my previous post. 

Jake
0 Kudos