Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

3TB Raid's now supported!!! IF you have an Asus P67 Board

Klepper
New Contributor I

Well I must be living right, because I bought a P67 board with 4, 3TB drives in order to do a RIAD 5, only a few days ago Intel says any 3TB Raid is not supported:

(6/20/2011)

But I checked out my P8P67 Bios today and sure enough, I find out while Intel is dragging it's feet, somehow Asus has got around that and has done it!!!

I flashed my bios today to 1704 and I get into windows and look what I see in RST 10.5:

Oh YES!! Those precious words are there, "Create A Custom Volume"

And yes, All FLAVORS of RAID are supported!!!

I bet you anything the other Sandybridge Asus boards as soon to follow AND other manufactures as well. Gotta love ASUS on this one!!

Darrell

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Nice to see 3TB disks getting supported.

Could you let us know what RAID ROM version this is as you boot up.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Klepper
New Contributor I

As I said in the post, RST 10.5, commonly referred to as "10.5.0.1027"

Raid ROM Version 10.5.0.1034

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thats the driver there is also RAID ROM version.

If you click help in RST > System Report under the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" it should list the "RAID option ROM version"

Thanks for that this now means anyone interested in 3TB disks in RIAD must have at least that Raid ROM Version 10.5.0.1034 in their BIOS update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am currently configuring 3 x 3TB Seagate drives in a RAID 5 for a data volume (not a boot volume). I have a EVGA system board. At first the drives were only being recognized at 750GB each. I checked with EVGA, flashed the BIO and also loaded the latest Intel Rapid Storage software. The drives are now recognized as 2.7TB each which appears to be correct. In the BIO drive configuration I was able to select the 3 drives and set them as a RAID 5 array. Now in windows 7 running the Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.6.0.1002, the Array appears and shows the 3 drives with a total of 5.5TB on the array, looks good so far. The status shows that it is not initialized, so I clicked to initialize the volume. So far the initialization has been running for about 12 hours is is 26% complete. My system is a really fast one that I built last year for photo and video editing. Is it normal for the first initialization to take so long???? At this rate it will take about 48 hours. Does this sound right?

Thanks,

Dobson

0 Kudos