Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

ASUS Maximum VIII ranger+3x SSD+1x HDD+RST 15.7.1 = HDD disappears without notice.

HRuit
Novice

hi,

I've got a top of the line UEFI motherboard, connected to 3 SSD's and 1 HDD. The HDD is correctly recognised in the BIOS and during the boot-up proces. For some reason RST disconnect the HDD and playing video and sounds begins to crackle, like it is busy.to connect again. When it starts up it sees the HHD again only to disappear again without any reason; I've checked out this drive without any errors. What is happening? I am on the brink of de-install the RST software,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
HRuit
Novice

Hi Antony,

I suspect that basically the problem disappeared when I installed version 5.7.1.1015.

I have finally installed Windows 10 on my NMVe PCIe 960 EVO drive. Got all the latest Windows 10 drivers from ASUS, but did not installed all of them. The same for RST. The question now is do I need to install the RST software?I see no benifit or a need to install the software on my Windows 10 configuration. Got a very recent fast board, CPU/GPU and Windows 10. RST is basically ment for SATA drives, not for PCIe drives.

As end result; loading the latest RST software solved the problem. It is a good advise for others who has a simulair problem.

So we can close this case. Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

Hans aka Hader.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, hader,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

For me to perform a deeper research regarding this issue please please attach the .txt file generated by the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® System Support Utility tool. Additionally, please attach as well the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology report using the following guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Furthermore, please try connecting the HDD to another SATA port and use another SATA cable if possible.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

Hi Antony,

At first I would like to thank you for answering my cry for help.

Despite I am a pro user, this problem is puzzelring to me. I searched through the window's logs to see if I can see a hint, but no. At the moment my 500GB HHD drive is removed from my system. The AIStore shows the port as not in use. There is no way I can revive the missing drive. When the drive appears again there is no problem, but suddenly (when I use it) it is disconnected from my system. The drive passes all test for a bad drive, they all passed.

Hope you can help me with this problem. I've attached the files you wanted.

Regards

Hans

0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

Note: Removed I mean by the RST software. After a while with no power the drive appears again, to disappear by RST after using it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for the information provided hader.

Were you able to test this HDD with another SATA port using a different cable?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, hader.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

Hi Antony,

Sorry for the delay. To attach to an another channel seems to be difficult because of the cable mania in my system. So i have to adjust my tactics. At first;

- Detach the data cable to my 500GB HDD to check if my videos play without delay's in pictures and sound.

- Detach the data cable from my SDD e-drive (Always visable) and attach this cable to my 500GB HDD.

In the mean time I bought a M.2 960 EVO SSD for my motherboard to house the O/S from my SATA SDD drive. This will increase the speed. (PCIe insteqd of SATA)

I'll will back soon to give you an update.

Kind regards,

Hans

0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

Hi Antony,

Something strange has happend. Before I place the M.2 960 EVO drive, I used the newest Samsung Magician (Checks all SDD drives to check if firmware needs to be updated) and my Samsung 850 needed to be updated. After the update my 500Gb SATA HDD disk returned and was visual all the time. Sometimes after x minutes the drive powered down. Access the drive the drive powered up again and was accessible always all the time. After a power down one access was enough to power it up again and show all the files. It's now all visually in the RST software. The is no video or sound crackle seen or to be heared.

Can't explain why a firmware update resolved the problems I had. For some reason it messed up the communication with the HDD drive. Both are using a separate channel. It seems that the RST software only reacts to the situation. To bad that the RST software doesn't leave any clue in some kind of logfile or in the windows system logs.

I will watch this situation for a couple of days. If the system keeps this situation, the case can be closed.

Kind regards,

Hans

0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

To bad. Forget the last remark. Today I powered my PC up again, and the problem appears again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided, hader.

Can you please update your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology application? Please find the latest version of it below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Antony S.
0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

Hi Antony,

* The last of couple of days I see constant my 500Gb HHD drive.

* I disconnected the SATA cable to this 500Gb HDD drive with the one of my 256Gb SSD drive (other channel) and did a a couple of tests on my 500Gb HDD drive: No errors.

* I updated my RST software from 5.7.1.1015 to the latest version 5.9.0.1015 without any problems, and tested my 500Gb drive again: No errors.

* While the 500Gb HDD drive was visible, no video delays or sound crackles had be seen or heared. Since I reload the BIOS with default settings. System runs stable in the turbo-mode 4.2GHz ( Due to stepping tech. only when needed)

I am lost for words at the moment. I tinker a lot in my BIOS because of my in order to get my new NVMe PCIe SSD drive to get it bootable, but the system keeps stable with the points above. No messages anymore by the RST software that it disconnected the 500Gb HHD drive. I turned the e-mail option on, in order to keep track of any messages from the RST software.

Kind regards,

Hans

0 Kudos
HRuit
Novice

Hi Antony,

I suspect that basically the problem disappeared when I installed version 5.7.1.1015.

I have finally installed Windows 10 on my NMVe PCIe 960 EVO drive. Got all the latest Windows 10 drivers from ASUS, but did not installed all of them. The same for RST. The question now is do I need to install the RST software?I see no benifit or a need to install the software on my Windows 10 configuration. Got a very recent fast board, CPU/GPU and Windows 10. RST is basically ment for SATA drives, not for PCIe drives.

As end result; loading the latest RST software solved the problem. It is a good advise for others who has a simulair problem.

So we can close this case. Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

Hans aka Hader.