Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Advantages of RST if not caching or RAIDing

ppara5
Valued Contributor I

RST is used to add an SSD for caching and to allow for RAID. Are there any advantages to installing RST if neither of these things is being done?

I noticed that it changes the list of devices which appear for Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media, hiding the disks connected internally via SATA which should not be dismounted, a minor advantage, but this is on a system which was installed using AHCI.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software will work if the chipset SATA mode is set to RAID. With AHCI the software will not work; the driver installation process will give you an error message.

RST is a very helpful feature if you are planning to create a RAID volume or cache memory.

Mike C

0 Kudos
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

Okay, so RST has no value unless chipset mode is set to RAID. However, your second sentence is incorrect. It will not always give an error if chipset mode is set to AHCI. I have it installed on DH67BL, both Vista and 7, and there was no error. Not only that, the default for the DH67BL cdrom was to install RST on an AHCI system, i.e. the checkbox was initially checked. I will now uninstall it.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for let me know the behavior with the 6 series motherboards.

Mike C

0 Kudos