Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

After uninstall IRST 18.0.1.1138 I cannot install IRST 15.9.8.1050

kivitz
Beginner

With IRST 18.0.1.1138 I cannot use SSD as cache, so I downgraded Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller to 15.9.8.1050 but trying to install IRST 15.9.8.1050 software, I get the message "A newer version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver has been detected. You cannot overwrite the currently installed version with an older version" and installation ends.

The system is MB Sabertooth X79 Win10 64. In Win 8.1 and Win 7 the Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller driver and IRST software 15.9.8.1050 works fine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

kivitz, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, not sure if you already tried this procedure, in order to uninstall the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology tool, we recommend to go to "Apps and Features" and uninstall it from there and also to follow the steps below:

-Righ-click on the Windows* icon on the lower left-hand side

-Select "Device Manager."

-Find and expand the "Disk drives" catalog.

-Right-click on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and choose "Uninstall device".

Once you do that then you can try to install the Intel® RST version 15.9.8.1050:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28997/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version provided and validated by the manufacturer of the computer, since it was customized by them to work with your specific platform, normally they provide also older versions for you to be able to install them and use the SSD as cache.

I looked for drivers for the ASUS Sabertooth X79 board and for some reason the ASUS's web site is not showing any drivers available for that motherboard, probably the page is down or being updated, so, in that case, we suggest to get in contact directly with them to verify if they have an older version of the Intel® RST available for you to test it:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.asus.com/support/

If the problem persists after that, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
kivitz
Beginner

Thank you Alberto for response.

I really uninstall IRST 18.0.1.1138 application and successfuly revert the Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller device driver under Device Manager from 18.0.1.1138 to 15.9.8.1050.

The problem is running SetupRST.exe 15.9.8.1050. After few minutes the installation ends prematurely with a dialog box with the message: "A newer version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver has been detected. You cannot overwrite the currently installed version with an older version". I think it is due a remaining RST 18.0.1.1138 drivers spreaded over windows system directories. Also I noted under user\program settings a kind of "nodowngrad script" owned by Intel and dated for original IRST 18.0.1.1138 application initial installation.

So, I need a way to cleanup IRST 18.0.1.1138 drivers which is prevented SetupRST.exe 15.9.8.1050 to end successfull.

I am aware by no warranty of IRST 15.9.8.1050 works on my specific system but I got it worked under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I only installed IRST 18.0.1.1138 under Windows 10 because it apears to be most recent for these OS but I not get SSD cache acceleration as IRST 15.9.8.1050 under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. So I want to try IRST 15.9.8.1050 also under Windows 10.

0 Kudos
kivitz
Beginner

Following are the installation log files and system information file.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

kivitz, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the reports.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello kivitz, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, the problem is that 18.x cannot be uninstalled, no matter if you try programs and features, registry, or other tools, this is already part of the Operating System. Additionally, it seems that there is a registry conflict with driver versions, and the only way to uninstall Intel® RST 18.x will be to reinstall the Operating System.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos