Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

C600+Windows 10, hibernation works with RST but not RSTe

BMoha3
Beginner

Hello,

I have an X79 build with the C600 controller in AHCI mode. For some reason, when I install Windows 10 I am unable to use hibernation or hybrid shutdown (fast startup) with RSTe drivers installed: the computer never powers off, and cold boots the next time I turn it on instead of resuming/fast startup.

I tested V3.6.0.1093 (latest version posted on motherboard support site) as well as the latest from the Intel Download Center (I think V4.5.0.2123). I have tried all available diagnostic and troubleshooting steps to resolve hibernation issues aside from switching to RST without any change in the symptoms. The only error/log of any kind when I try to shutdown with 'fast startup' enabled or use hibernate at all is in Event Viewer, EventID 16 "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC000007B" (no bugcheck, BSoD or crash dump). The drivers appear to be installed properly and there are no other apparent issues with the system or other error events.

I originally installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit as an upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (retail version), but I also tried reinitializing the drive as GPT and reinstalling Windows 10 in UEFI mode, removing any possible conflicting hardware, updating/rolling back all drivers one-by-one, updating/rolling back/disabling/uninstalling MEI, disabled all startup items, running hardware diagnostics, chkdsk, sfc, dism, Tweaking Windows Repair Tool, changing hiberfil size, clear CMOS, reflash and update BIOS, among other troubleshooting processes with a Microsoft MVP. In the end, the only thing that worked was uninstalling the RSTe drivers and installing RST instead.

I noticed no one else has reported anything like this, so I was hoping I could determine what's going on and if it is possible to switch back to RSTe without breaking hibernation (I mainly want to use Fast Startup). I also noticed my SSD benchmark results are actually higher using RSTe than RST (using Samsung RAPID mode), which is the opposite of what others have posted.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (8x4GB, quad channel, X.M.P. 1600)

GPU: Asus STRIX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD

Data HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD

PSU: Corsair HX750 750W

No overclocking or other modifications

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

I also have issues with RST enterprise driver and Windows 8.1 & 10 when hibernating or shutting down: I click on Hibernate or Shut down -> the drives are spinned down and the power LED blinks, also the screen goes off. But system does not turn off, but instead spins all drives incl. ODD up again for some seconds, then they are spinned down again and then finally the system goes off. I have C236 chipset and up-to-date RSTe driver. This issue does not happen with Microsoft AHCI driver, Intel Win10 inbox RAID driver and also not with normal RST v14 driver, only with the RSTe series.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

ggxtreme Which Intel® Rapid Storage are you saying that is working for you?

If you have Windows® 10 I would assume you have at least version 14.8.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BMoha3
Beginner

stna1981 That is pretty strange. When it does eventually turn off, does it resume from hibernate successfully for you?

@allan_intel I am actually running 12.8 since it's the latest version listed on the motherboard support site. I can test another version if you'd like, perhaps another version of RST could at least fix the reduced SSD throughput. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos
BMoha3
Beginner

I tried and it would not install with an "unsupported platform" error. Another source says that version 13.2 and up are not compatible with the C600 on X79. Is there another version I should try?

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

What is the device ID for your RAID controller?

It looks like this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_????

0 Kudos
BMoha3
Beginner

This is what I have for Intel(R) C600 series chipset SATA AHCI controller:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What would help is a Device and Revision ID Table for the PCH / SATA Controller. I found it in the Datasheets for the X99 and 100 series chipsets, but not in the one for the X79.

There you could see to which mode the DEV ID is associated and which RST drivers are supported, e. g. with the X99 chipset, the RAID function of the 3rd internal SATA controller can only be used with RSTe, while the first six ports can also be used with normal RST.

Quite complicated...

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

Hah, I was thinking it was RAID the whole time, since I must have been skimming your first message--I was confused for a bit.

Anyways, both RSTe and RST provide support for the AHCI side of things on your P9X79 Pro. So, as long as you're only using AHCI, I suppose you could use whichever performs better for you. Intel X79, X99 chipsets are essentially desktop versions of server chipsets (if not completely the same thing, rebranded), therefore RSTe stuff can work on it. Even ASUS gives both RSTe and RST download options for Win7x64 on your motherboard.

The latest supported versions of each from Intel:

RSTe 4.3.0.1223 Package: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-Windows https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-Windows-

Device ID's from the \Win8_10_2K8R2_2K12\AHCI\iaAHCI.inf file in that package:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1F22&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&CC_0106

RST 13.1.0.1058 Package: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

Device ID's from the iaAHCIC.inf file in that package:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C82&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C83&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C02&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C03&CC_0106

I don't doubt that your source is correct that some version of 13.2 will support C600 AHCI, too. But version 13.2.4.1000 on the downloadcenter does not have support for it. Also, RSTe package 4.5.0.2123 is for NVMe SSD's only, not chipset AHCI/RAID.

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

stna1981 wrote:

What would help is a Device and Revision ID Table for the PCH / SATA Controller.

What I do is examine the *AHCI*.inf's from the differing RST / RSTe driver packages for the device ID's, and determine the which chipsets are support based on which ones are added or removed in each revision. Then I keep them broken out as such on my PC at work. I find the corresponding readme.txt files that are on the download pages for the RST / RSTe packages aren't always accurate in what they claim to support...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Of course, but sometimes there are restrictiosn that are not obvious, e. g. for X99 chipset, ports 6-9 can only be used in RAID mode with RSTe, while ports 0-5 can also be used in RAID with normal RST driver. This should of course have nothing to do with the specific issue here...

0 Kudos
BMoha3
Beginner

I'm glad to report that both of those versions worked. So it seems the issue was installing that incorrect 4.5 version instead of the proper 4.3 AHCI driver. And the other occurrences were probably just the driver being too out of date for WIndows 10. And it seems my source was right about the version compatibility then. Thanks a lot for the help.

Edit: I should mention that I'm getting very slow startup times with the 4.3 RSTe driver as well as EventID 0 errors in Event Viewer related to IAStorDataMgrSvc with a blank event. I'm going to try switching back to the RST drivers since I didn't have this problem before.

Edit: Seems like everything is working fine with RST 13.1 you posted, so thanks again. I can't get RSTe to work properly but I found another thread saying that for RSTe to work properly on X79 the OS should be installed with the controller set to RAID mode and the F6 RSTe driver loaded, or it won't work properly. If I ever get to that point I'll try that advice, but for now 13.1 RST is working with good performance and fast boot times on my system.

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

Cool Beans!

ggxtreme wrote:

I can't get RSTe to work properly but I found another thread saying that for RSTe to work properly on X79 the OS should be installed with the controller set to RAID mode and the F6 RSTe driver loaded, or it won't work properly.

It seems strange to me that installing the driver in that way would make much difference, especially since whether the X79 chipset is set for AHCI or RAID, it uses the same kernel driver (IaStorA.sys). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Nice to hear this is working for you. Thank you for your feedback.

Allan.

0 Kudos