Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Can Optane cause a WIndows 10 V1803-V1809 or V1803-V1903 update to fail?

GHoll1
Beginner

have 6 mo old HP OMEN 880-139 that came with Optane RST pre-installed. Have tried numerous times to upgrade from Win 10 64bit V1803 to either V1809 or V1903 and both efforts fail. HP SUpport and then after with & up through 3 levels of Microsoft support efforts, the final Microsoft support person tells me he sees that Optane is splitting some window files between 2 disk drives and that's causing the updates to fail. Explanation seems crazy to me, especially when he wasn't able to provide even an example of a specific file that was somewhere it wasn't supposed to be. My understanding of optane is that at boot time it loads some windows "stuff" onto the Optane memory disk and each time the computer is restarted, it reloads from the paired hard drive so how can what Microsoft support saying be true and if maybe it is, can you give any help to troubleshoot as I really don't want to have to do a total reinstall of windows from HP supplied recovery USB as I'd then have to reinstall all my apps and I'm pretty sure I don't have all the software keys anywhere/installation disks, etc handy to do the reinstall(s) so REALLY trying to repair, not rebuild. HELP!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Disable the optane, upgrade the os, enable the optane.

BUT... Take a backup of your data first.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Disable the optane, upgrade the os, enable the optane.

BUT... Take a backup of your data first.

Doc

0 Kudos
GHoll1
Beginner

thanks. would having optane enabled cause the upgrade to fail all the time or is there something else maybe going on? If the former, I'm surprised the something, windows update or Intel RST s/w wouldn't issue a warning when an upgrade is pending/starting, etc.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Hard to say. I always disable optane on my machine before a windows upgrade, just to be safe and avoid any problems. Optane is not what you would call "friendly".

Now, it could be something else. But, it is easy to disable optane (with the Intel optane app), restart, upgrade, restart(s), enable optane (restart)..

If this does not work, leave optane disable and do further troubleshooting with Microsoft (since Optane will not be involved).

Doc

0 Kudos