Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

DELL INSPIRON 3880 IRST NOT AVAILABLE

TTLPKGE93
Novice

Dell Inspiron 3880 with 10th Generation I5-10400 with two 1TB WD Red NAS drives or 2 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD's installed and bios set to Raid, Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management in the Create RAID Volume page, Select Volume Type is grayed out.  No way to change the options to any selection.  Able to change volume name only, Select Controller is set to SATA and other option is also grayed out.  The board should have the Intel B460 chipset.  Any help, please advise, need to finish this system asap.  Also it's a brand new computer with less than 2 weeks old.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Dell is not providing support on this brand new two-week old computer?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice

Not so far, I purchased online from Walmart.com and the vendor from their market place, had purchased it and never sold it.  I purchased brand new, but the warranty is from the point of the original purchaser. Really nice unit, if I can get RAID 0 to create.  I've used IRST in the past with Dell's and it has always been text book and simple. I have a ticket open with Dell online and it's been over a week and no response.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello TTLPKGE93,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your computer.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Did you get a response from Dell?

3. Are you using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver version from Dell or Intel?

4. To confirm, you are not able to select any of the RAID options (based on your 1st picture) in the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), is that correct?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice
  1.  Ran the SSU
  2. A chat with Dell, told me too create an intel account and put the issue on the Inte Fourm, since they would have more expertise.  I also given a Dell support request, and they closed it.
  3. I'm using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver version from Intel, I also tried the one from Dell website, with same results.
  4.  To confirm, I am not able to select any of the RAID options in the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), is correct.  I can only change the volume name.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello TTLPKGE93, 

Thanks for all the information provided. Based on your issue, Bear in mind that when creating a RAID 0 volume, make sure the boot drive is not selected to be part of the array, since this may disable the Create tab on the Intel® RST user interface. If the Create tab is not available, follow these steps to fix it:

1. Use another non-boot drive or move your data, operating system, and applications to a new drive temporarily.
  2. Boot the system.
  3. Creating a RAID volume is now possible.
  4. Move the data and applications to the RAID 0 volume created.

Let me know if after trying these steps, the issue persists.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice

I will try your advice, but I'm attempting to create a RAID 1, not not O.  My goal is too mirror the operating system too the second drive as I have successfully done numerous times with the IRST and VROC.

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice

*****UPDATE******

Deivid A.

I installed a new drive and attempted too create an array from the UEFI/Bios options of Device Configurations and no options for a legacy option or RAID configuration. The SATA controller is set to RAID and nothing but Windows Boot Manager and IPV4/6 NIC options.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello TTLPKGE93, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello TTLPKGE93, 

Thanks for your patience. I am still investigating this behavior, however, to have a better view of this issue please provide the following:

1. Send more pictures of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) console.

2. Take pictures from the BIOS where we can see that it was set for RAID.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice

Deivid A

Here's some more picture of the bios and the IRST console.  Sorry for the poor resolution, If you need anything else, please don't hesitate too ask.

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello TTLPKGE93, 

I do appreciate the pictures sent, I will continue with the investigation and I will let you about any updates or any troubleshooting steps I may have for you.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello TTLPKGE93, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the research performed, I would like to let you know that you may not be able to create a RAID one using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology if the operating system is installed on one of the drives used. This option will not be possible in this environment.

I recommend you to try Dell support for further instructions.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice

Deivid A

Dell support tech was the ones too contact Intel because they were stumped.  Even with a clean install and no data on both SSD's, there's still no raid option available.  Even in the controller is set to Raid, it will say AHCI and will only install as per a single disk install. Not sure what to do now?

0 Kudos
TTLPKGE93
Novice

Hello Deivid

I've never been able to solve the IRST issue, but just wondering if this option is operating system dependent? I have realized that the machine with the issue, is Windows 11 Home, rather than Pro? Cant find definitive information.  Thanks for all the help

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For starters, go back to Dell and tell them to escalate this to *THEIR* second level support engineers. It is *THEIR* BIOS, after all. They have this annoying habit of saying they tried to solve it when they likely didn't try anything at all and didn't use their escalation paths. They are supposed to escalate issues to Intel directly, not send their customers here.

...S

0 Kudos