Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

DX58S0 & Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

TGold1
New Contributor II

I've had problems installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (10.1.0.1008) on DX58SO running Windows 7 Pro x64. All my attempts failed. An Intel tech rep suggested installing version 11.0.0.1032 for the DX58 (SO2/OG). That install was successful. However, I recently attempted to create RAID 5 volume using the software and the attempt failed due to an unknown error. The software suggested reinstalling the software as one solution. I will attempt to do that. But, I was wondering if Intel intends to update the DX58SO Intel RST driver from version 10 to version 11? What are the differences between Intel RST versions 10 and 11?

Regards

PS

I attempted to remove the RST 11 and install the RST 10. The system froze repeatedly on the windows start-up screen just as it did when I first installed the os. I was able to restore the os after several attempts using windows repair and system restore.

I downloaded and reinstalled the RST 11 to see if that would resolve my "unknown error" when attempting to create a RAID 5 volume. The reinstall did not resolve anything.

I think there is a problem with RST 10 for the DX58SO running Windows 7 Pro x64. I have not been able to install that driver on two DX58SO boards. The board's AA numbers ended in 501 and 705.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the RST and determine why this system fails to create a RAID volume? I attempted to create a raid volume from my "D" & "E" drives, but that attempt failed as well.

Message was edited by: Tim Golden

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TGold1
New Contributor II

My issue with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), DX58SO and Windows 7 x64 is resolved with Intel RST version 12.5.0.1066. The link below was provided by Intel Tech Support on a Support Chat.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22676&keyword=12.5&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Download Center

After two Intel Support chat sessions where the techs were pushing CTRL I to create a RAID 5 volume in lieu of troubleshooting the RST, I was finally offered the above link, because I didn't want to reload Windows 7 and all the other programs on my system disk. If you use CTRL I to create a RAID volume, you will lose everything on the volume disks, to include the OS.

The DX58SO Support Driver Download Center has RST 10.1.0.1008. When I attempted to install this driver, my system froze at the windows start screen. I was required to repair windows and use system restore to get the system to boot again.

About a year ago, an Intel tech on Intel Support Chat recommended using the RST 11.0.0.1032 on the DX58SO2/DX58OG driver download to resolve the issue with RST 10 noted above. RST 11.0.0.1032 installed without freezing Windows, but would not create a RAID volume due to "unknown error."

Today, on Intel Support Chat, a tech offered a link to RST 11.2.0.1006 and suggested I remove all optical drives from the board. I did and I got the same results as RST 11.0.0.1032. The program loaded without freezing Windows, but fails to create a RAID volume due to "unknown error."

Today on my second Intel Support Chat, a tech offered a link to RST 12.5.0.1066, the link posted above. It worked. The program loaded without freezing Windows and it created a RAID 5 volume without errors.

I asked the techs why these versions of RST were not on the DX58SO driver download center and they both indicated that the driver download center is not up to date. I find that strange.

This RST issue has existed on three different versions of the DX58SO; boards with AA numbers that ended in 501, 503 and 705. So, I don't think this is an isolated tech issue.

If you're Intel RST program on a DX58SO running Win 7 Pro x62 fails to create a RAID volume due to "unknown error," then the fix is likely the link posted above.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TGold1
New Contributor II

My issue with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), DX58SO and Windows 7 x64 is resolved with Intel RST version 12.5.0.1066. The link below was provided by Intel Tech Support on a Support Chat.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22676&keyword=12.5&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Download Center

After two Intel Support chat sessions where the techs were pushing CTRL I to create a RAID 5 volume in lieu of troubleshooting the RST, I was finally offered the above link, because I didn't want to reload Windows 7 and all the other programs on my system disk. If you use CTRL I to create a RAID volume, you will lose everything on the volume disks, to include the OS.

The DX58SO Support Driver Download Center has RST 10.1.0.1008. When I attempted to install this driver, my system froze at the windows start screen. I was required to repair windows and use system restore to get the system to boot again.

About a year ago, an Intel tech on Intel Support Chat recommended using the RST 11.0.0.1032 on the DX58SO2/DX58OG driver download to resolve the issue with RST 10 noted above. RST 11.0.0.1032 installed without freezing Windows, but would not create a RAID volume due to "unknown error."

Today, on Intel Support Chat, a tech offered a link to RST 11.2.0.1006 and suggested I remove all optical drives from the board. I did and I got the same results as RST 11.0.0.1032. The program loaded without freezing Windows, but fails to create a RAID volume due to "unknown error."

Today on my second Intel Support Chat, a tech offered a link to RST 12.5.0.1066, the link posted above. It worked. The program loaded without freezing Windows and it created a RAID 5 volume without errors.

I asked the techs why these versions of RST were not on the DX58SO driver download center and they both indicated that the driver download center is not up to date. I find that strange.

This RST issue has existed on three different versions of the DX58SO; boards with AA numbers that ended in 501, 503 and 705. So, I don't think this is an isolated tech issue.

If you're Intel RST program on a DX58SO running Win 7 Pro x62 fails to create a RAID volume due to "unknown error," then the fix is likely the link posted above.

Regards

0 Kudos