Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

DX58SO RST RAID 5 Fantom Disk after Disk Failure

TGold1
New Contributor II

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 on DX58SO with Intel Rapid Storage Technology, version 12.5.0.1066, three Disk RAID 5. I had a disk, Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS 500GB, fail and got an indication from the RST icon in the notification area. I replaced the disk and the SATA Array is currently rebuilding and about 60% complete. However, when I open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program, I see four disks, three show status as normal and one phantom disk, status missing, port location: unknown. It also shows the serial number of the old disk with a colon and zero added, but nothing else. I'm hoping that this phantom disk will disappear when the SATA Array finishes rebuilding, but I don't get the impression that it will. Also, on the Status tab, of the RST program, the current status indicates the system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk. It then indicates to refer to the details below for more information. There are two events indicated. The first is that the SATA Array 0000 is rebuilding and the second is "Unknown disk on Controller 255, Port Unknown: Missing.

Will this missing phantom disk issue resolve when the system finishes rebuilding the SATA Array after replacing the failed disk?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello tjg79,

Can you please post your Dxdiag report or system configuration here?

0 Kudos
TGold1
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

I had a support chat with an Intel tech rep and he indicated the issue would resolve when the system completed the rebuilding. It did just that, so I understand that it was a normal indication after a failed drive was replaced. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Regards

PS

My system configuration before the drive failure was SATA internal ports 0 thru 2, three drives, in Intel RST RAID 5 configuration and SATA port 3 with non member Seagate SATA 500GB model ST500DM002. The RAID was configured as follows: Ports 1 & 2 - Seagate SATA 500GB model ST3500320AS, Port 0 - Seagate SATA 500GB model ST3500418AS. The CPU is an i7-930. The total system memory is 6GB in three memory modules, 3x2GB.

After the drive failure, I moved the non member disk on Port 3 to Port 1 and rebuilt the array successfully. The Intel RST worked as advertised.

TGold1
New Contributor II

dxdiag report post drive replacement and system rebuild:

0 Kudos
sbeha
Beginner

I have a similar issue where the 2 out of 4 disks appear with colon zero attached (:0) and then they appear as available under the array definition. This is a Raid 0+1 with 64kb stripe size. RAID status is shown as failed hence there is no rebuilding. (the colon zero issue seems to be a known issue 3005666 but I could not find a solution anywhere). I played around with mdadm in a live ubuntu session but no avail. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello sedatiko,

Please create a new post and provide all information we need such as your description and dxdiag report.

Kevin M

0 Kudos