Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2048 Discussions

Dell Prec 5810 BSODS iaStorB.sys

SMill12
Novice

I have a Dell Prec 5810 Win 10 Pro, all up to date with latest drivers from Dell.

It randomly gives a BSOD with the following error "DRIVER_IRQL NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL iaStorB.sys

I see what appears to be updated drivers on this site for this. So far Dell basically doesn't really know what to do.

Has happened on two systems, random 4 are okay. It can occur just sitting at the desktop, with no apps loaded or any.

Does anyone have a solution for this - apparently we are not the only one having this issue, but Dell doesn't know which way to go. OS is clean, have reinstalled it fresh, doesn't matter, like I said it has occurred on two different machines.

Please advise, this is a rather expensive config and it can't be used for anything.

Thanks!

Stuart

35 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello smillma,

Thank you for joining the Intel Communities.

Was there any software or hardware change before the issue started happening? Have you upgraded/added any hardware to your computer?

Do you have Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software currently installed in your computer? In case you have it installed, may I have the version of it?

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello smillma,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the blue screen of death you are having in your computer. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
SGard5
Beginner

Hello--

Same issue for me: Precision T5810 (Windows 7/64bit) has barfed up 4 BSODs in the last month. With the exception of swapping out the mechanical HDs for Samsung 860 Pro SSDs, the three year-old T5810 was in stock condition. The first Samsung SSD was swapped into the T5810 on Day One via cloning software to replace the boot volume. The system has generally been extremely fast and reliable.

The T5810 is used extensively for CAD operations, using AutoCAD, Meshmixer, Fusion360, Chief Architect, Adobe Suite software. Both Samsung 860 Pros were updated using Samsung Magician to ensure they were using the latest firmware. A 2TB RAID1 volume was swapped out for the 2nd Samsung SSD. Intel's Storage Manager is no longer used to manage a RAID.

The initial symptoms were noted in May: the Intel RSTe service began taking an unusually long time to initialize in the system tray after logging in to a Windows profile. Also, the elapsed time before the AV splash screen appeared grew longer, as if it was dependent on the same services that RSTe was using.

User notices that the mouse "gets stuck" or tracks slowly and unreliably before BSOD. In general, startup takes too long; RSTe take 90-120 seconds to load at startup; in CAD apps, the mouse tracks unreliably like the system is starved for resources.... but it's not. The system has 16GB RAM installed, idles at ~4GB in use.

New Windows profiles were created and tested (no change); Intel RSTe was updated from the Dell site (no change); Samsung RAPID Mode was disabled (no change); RSTe was uninstalled (no change); OS was reinstalled per Dell's instructions (no change); motherboard was swapped out under warranty per Dell's troubleshooting tree (no change). Dell's Precision Optimizer software was used to disable unneeded apps and inits (e.g., AutoCAD, Adobe, DropBox) to try to limit possible driver contention and maximize system resources, but there's no noticeable change in CAD or system performance:

I have four MEMORY.DMP files in hand. Each crashdump has been parsed with WinDbg(64), and each time the likely cause is identified as iabstor.sys.

Win10 upgrade is not yet an option as some installed software will require cost/effort to update to Win10 compliance; even so, it doesn't look like the Win10 version of iabstor.sys has a more recent stamp than the currently-installed version. I've downloaded Intel® System Studio 2018 in the hope of getting a more detailed symbol set for debugging purposes.

I made one more change today: I modified advanced system settings so that Windows no longer dynamically manages the pagefile: Both SSD have custom-sized pagefiles where min=max. This is an old performance trick from the days when RAM and mechanical drives were expensive and SSDs virtually didn't exist: contiguous pagefiles didn't fragment and bootup time was always faster.

I really don't think it's a hardware issue, but I'm running out of ideas and traps to set. All suggestions welcomed, and thanks in advance.

SteveG

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SBG_Consulting,

Thank you for posting in our Intel ® Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) driver for your Precision Tower 5000 Series (5810).

In this case our support is in charge of the desktop version of this app, which is the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

Based on the specs of your system we can see that it has a server chipset and a server CPU; which in this case needs to be supported by https://www.dell.com/support/home/hr/en/hrbsdt1 your manufacturer as this driver includes customized features added by Dell*.

Feel free to contact them in the link above for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
clg4
Novice

Same problem here on two separate Dell 5810's, running on win 10. Completely up to date on a daily basis with drivers and updates. BSOD's happen periodically, no one thing causes. Have been happening for probably 8 mos, and we keep troubleshooting including rebuilding the PCs from scratch re: reinstall OS etc. Just came across this so thought I would add. This is very bad. Please help - send me email if you find a solution. P.S. Both 5810's also happen to be using Samsung SSDs.

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
I think I found a fix actually. I have NOT had a BSOD since Nov 23rd now. We were misinformed by Dell, the driver is NOT for the hard drive but for the DVD drive. I disconnected the DVD drive, unloads the driver, and haven't had a BSOD since then. Let me know how you make out. Not too many people at Dell knew the driver is in fact for the DVD drive NOT the SSD. Stuart
clg4
Novice

this is very interesting. will try tomorrow and let you know! Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
RKell11
Beginner

Hey there. As per your post, I disconnected the dvd drive on 3/6 and I haven't had a single BSOD since then. Prior to that and with increasing frequency, I was getting one every other day. I've got a precision T5800 tower and I was getting the iaStorB.sys error when it BSOD'd. I guess only time will tell...?

Thank you for your help.

Rob

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Please let me know. I killed myself with this one. Dell was even ready to replace the machine yet again, but it wouldn't have helped. So far so good. Please keep me posted. Thanks Stuart
0 Kudos
clg4
Novice

fingers crossed. do you use Samsung SSDs?

0 Kudos
clg4
Novice

Also, which driver did you remove completely? Device manager/storage controllers/ the Intel(R) C660+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID COntroller? AHCI COntroller? or the DVD/CD-ROM drives/HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM DTA0N driver?

0 Kudos
RKell11
Beginner

Love you Smill12! Still haven't had the dreaded BSOD since disconnecting the dvd drive on 3/6/2019. Maybe someone should pass this on to the "Great and Powerfull" Dell? Haha! Maybe the info would actually get to the techs there? One can only hope.

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Here is the interesting part. I cloned the internal drive thinking it was the driver for the SSD, to a Samsung SSD. The SSD that came with the system was not a Samsung, but never the less an SSD. I found with the different drive, I would get the same exact random BSODs, doing nothing even. Just sitting idle at the desktop. It had NOTHING to do with the SSD, but this is actually the longest period I have gone with no BSODs since Nov 23. Once I disconnected the DVD drive. That very driver would unload. Have the user leaving the machine on 24x7, so far not a single BSOD. the driver specifically appears to be for the DVD, NOT the hard drive, but even senior Dell engineers don't have this info, I did get lucky with one guy who suggested it. What I found was in the device mgr, that by disconnecting the DVD drive, the driver in question would unload and so far from Nov 23rd we are clean. Keep me posted.
0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
I didn't actually - the driver that no longer showed up in the Device Mgr upon disconnecting the DVD drive is the one that shows during each BSOD " iaStorB.sys"
0 Kudos
clg4
Novice

wow, incredible. stay tuned...

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Yes, I hope you have the same results, put a good word in for me on the forum if it does. I am telling you, no one had a resolution for this one. Dell was willing to swap out the system. I am not sure if you tried it but was thinking using the driver from Intel directly, but that is not supported and may not work, I was worried at the time, it would render the computer unbootable because I was being told it was the driver for the hard drive. I am curious to know if you have the same results. With what frequency do you see the BSODs? They were sooooo random. sometimes 2 a day, sometimes 1 every other week. All apps closed just sitting idle at the desktop they would often occur. Stuart -Progressive Integration Tech.
0 Kudos
SGard5
Beginner

I was able to stabilize the BSOD issue by modifying Windows memory parameters: try modifying virtual memory settings to have the following attributes

-- Don't allow Windows to manage memory automatically for you (uncheck that setting)

-- Manually set Virual Memory (pagefile.sys) so that the pagefile size is equal to the amount of memory you have physically installed (e.g. if you have 8GB RAM installed, set pagefile MIN=8192, MAX=8192). This will require a reboot.

-- Experiment with pagefile on a single SSD, rather than having the pagefiles on more than one SSD.

Optimization settings like these were common in earlier versions of Windows, and before SSDs became so affordable. They might be voodoo-- I'd like to hear your results.

My customer is still experiencing an unreliable cursor when she moves the mouse-- it either moves sluggishly, lags, or "jumps" after a delay. Very frustrating. It's disappointing that Intel says it's Dell's problem because Dell has customized iabstor.sys... And Dell's only solution appears to be Rope-A-Dope: offering to swap hardware components until the warranty expires (while the problem still persists).

In a previous position, I was in an IT organization that had a significant annual spend with Dell, and was spoiled by the access provided to engineers in Austin and Round Rock to cooperatively (and successfully) troubleshoot issues like this. It's gratifying when a BIOS, firmware, or driver update gets released to address an issue you've experienced, and it breeds customer loyalty like few things can.

I'm *still* hoping to find a dogged Precision or Intel engineer who's willing to investigate dump files, make suggestions, and either explain the iabstor.sys deficiency or tell how it's addressed by newer hardware and/or software drivers. Buying a new Precision might be an acceptable proposition if Dell or Intel could more conclusively explain why this 5810 (and yours) have become hopelessly unreliable.

0 Kudos
clg4
Novice

this seems like it could be the problem also... will see if the DVD experiment works, if not, will try this... I do have 1 Samsung SSD currently system managed paging file size... I'll change to none if the BSOD comes back...

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Try my suggestion and see if it works for you so far I've had really good results and no blue screen since 11/23 Let me know how you make out I used to always set the page file manually it's been discouraged in Windows 10 God only knows why when the system has to manage something that actually uses resources to manage it that's why I would set it manually it squeaks a little more power or responsive out of the system,
0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Hey there Following up with you to see if that is working for you. I am trying to find out if my fix is working for others as well. Thanks Stuart ed iabstor.sys... And Dell's only solution appears to be Rope-A-Dope: offering to swap hardware components until the warranty expires (while the problem still persists). In a previous position, I was in an IT organization that had a significant annual spend with Dell, and was spoiled by the access provided to engineers in Austin and Round Rock to cooperatively (and successfully) troubleshoot issues like this. It's gratifying when a BIOS, firmware, or driver update gets released to address an issue you've experienced, and it breeds customer loyalty like few things can. I'm *still* hoping to find a dogged Precision or Intel engineer who's willing to investigate dump files, make suggestions, and either explain the iabstor.sys deficiency or tell how it's addressed by newer hardware and/or software drivers. Buying a new Precision might be an acceptable proposition if Dell or Intel could more conclusively explain why this 5810 (and yours) have become hopelessly unreliable.