Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Dell Prec 5810 BSODS iaStorB.sys

SMill12
Novice

I have a Dell Prec 5810 Win 10 Pro, all up to date with latest drivers from Dell.

It randomly gives a BSOD with the following error "DRIVER_IRQL NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL iaStorB.sys

I see what appears to be updated drivers on this site for this. So far Dell basically doesn't really know what to do.

Has happened on two systems, random 4 are okay. It can occur just sitting at the desktop, with no apps loaded or any.

Does anyone have a solution for this - apparently we are not the only one having this issue, but Dell doesn't know which way to go. OS is clean, have reinstalled it fresh, doesn't matter, like I said it has occurred on two different machines.

Please advise, this is a rather expensive config and it can't be used for anything.

Thanks!

Stuart

35 Replies
clg4
Novice

have the disconnect dvd drive implemented on one machine since last night. All good so far... I'll report back if any other issues and watch this trherad… Thanks a ton. lg

clg4
Novice

All good still. Have not had a single issue since this...

SMill12
Novice
Hey there I would do one change at a time. It is not logical to me that setting the page file like that would in anyway prevent BSODS. I always thought it was a good practice to do so, like I said, a little less overhead on the system if Windows doesn't have to manage it. It has enough problems trying to manage what it is supposed to. It also prevents the page file from becoming fragmented. I would try the change I suggested, It took 3 months to figure it out. Interestingly the user has not had a BSOD from 11/23 and I have had her leave the machine on 24x7 It would help other userse that have also not had a solution because Dell was not able to help other than replace equipment, and Intel won't do a thing because Dell touched the driver. Please let me know how you do! Stuart
0 Kudos
SGard5
Beginner

My test case will include an extra step. I won't lay hands on the system to physically unplug anything for a few more days. In the meantime, I logged in remotely and disabled the DVD drive in Device Manager. I've asked the customer to take note of any change of behavior on the 5810.

The next time I'm logged in, I'll check system logs to document the last BSOD. In the App log, I did that Chief Architect had barfed in late December. The system requirements for Meshmaker and CA dictated Precision as the platform of choice.

More soon.

0 Kudos
LRusk
Beginner

I have two new Dell T7810s which have been crashing with the iaStorB.sys BSOD. Found this post. After trying several other fixes with no improvement, I removed the DVD drive through Device Manager then disconnected the data cable from the drive. With the DVD drive connected, Dell Quick diagnostics was crashing immediately; with DVD disconnected the Quick diagnostic tests complete. When looking at results, the DVD drive is the first thing tested. Methinks you are on to something here. No crashes the rest of the day. Will see how it goes!

SMill12
Novice
Thanks so much for the update. I know I was going through hell with this one. Just trying to help others ;-). Please keep me posted, would love to hear how it goes. Anyone else? Stuart
0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Hey How did we make out? Out of no where, after WINDOWS 10s wonderful updates, the issue just started on another Precision 5810 I have not disconnected the DVD drive yet, want to monitor it overnight first. I was wondering how you made out with my suggestion? Any other BSODs? Stuart
0 Kudos
LRusk
Beginner

The system with the DVD drive disconnected is behaving so far. The first time this system BSOD'd was right after a Windows update. The driver was uninstalled, allowed to reinstall at restart. BSOD came back at next Windows update. That's when I found this post and disconnected the DVD drive.

The other Precision which BSOD'd is powered off, haven't tested to see if problem is back or not. Too much else going on to deploy that system right now.

Interesting that it seems to only affect Precision systems running Windows 10. But not interesting enough for me to try to figure out why.

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
Hey there Thanks for the update. Interestingly enough, I think it has to do with the driver for the Intel Chipset for the disk controller. I have yet another Precision 5810, last weekend installed the updates from Dell for the Chipset. Immediately after installing, guess what, BSODs same exact error. Intel will not support it, because Dell touched the driver. Dell has no idea what to do with it, even their Tier III support. I am guessing that perhaps Dell removed some of the functionality of the driver and in the process broke it. I just disconnect the DVD drive now instead of taking the time to troubleshoot their issue. It seems to work every time so far. Keep me posted. Stuart
0 Kudos
SGard5
Beginner

Checking back in..... my customer reports her T5810 has been "stable" since I disabled the optical drive in Device Manager-- I didn't physically disconnect any cables on the T5810.

Add my experience to the anecdotal evidence that disabling the DVD has improved the iabstor.sys bluescreen situation.

0 Kudos
SMill12
Novice
I found it required it to be physically disconnected rather than disabled. How did you go about doing it. Yes it seems to work well.
0 Kudos
clg4
Novice

I physically disconnected and all good.

0 Kudos
BGilb1
Beginner

Just for reference, this thread helped us tremendously back in January.

We ended up going to devmgmt.msc (Device Management) and finding the DVD drive, right clicking, and selecting "Disable."

We did not need to disconnect any cables. Since then we've gone from 5 BSOD in 3 weeks to none in the last 6 months.

Thanks all posting your experiences with this.

Brady

0 Kudos
dzero1
Beginner

I have a Dell Precision 5810 as well and the BSOD because of iaStorB.sys just started 2 weeks ago and this system has been in production for 2 years. There were no updates when it started.

It had it's first blue screen on July 4th when nobody was even using the machine. It would then blue screen every day at least once a day until I disabled the IRSTe service.

Dell's solution was to uninstall and reinstall IRSTe software and that worked for about a day. If that didn't work they said they would re-image the machine! I said no way! Let's find a solution to this. They didn't care.

I will have to try disconnecting the SATA cable from the DVD drive and report back.

There are over 4 Thousand views to this thread and Dell and Intel still have done nothing to fix the issue. Sad.

0 Kudos
RMaed1
Beginner

I have the same issue with lots of Bluescreen lockups on my Dell Precision Tower 5810. These Bluescreens are definitely increasing. All drivers and Bios up to date, even installed Intel's own version of Intel Rapidstore drivers from their website.

After reading the comments here, today, December 17 of 2019, I opted to disable the internal optical drive in the device manager.

Maybe this makes it unnecessary to physically disconnect the drive.

I would like to know if it is save to connect an external optical drive via USB or

if this once again introduces the problematic driver to the Windows 10 driven computer?

0 Kudos