Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Dell XPS 8500 destop Win7 - Uninstall RST to dual boot with Linux?

SMasi2
Beginner

I'm new here and I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have 5-6 year old Dell XPS 8500 desktop PC, Win7 Home Premium, Core i7-3440 @ 3.40Ghz, 12Gb RAM, H77 chipset board, 32Gb SSD cache drive that is paired with a 2Tb HDD using Intel RST.

I wanted to do a dual boot setup using Win7 with a Linux distribution. The problem is with this hybrid cache system, it's nearly impossible to do with Intel RST installed and running. I can boot up a live session of Linux using a USB flashdrive, but the Linux installer will crash when I try to install. It apparently doesn't 'see' or find any drive to install on. From what I understand, there is nothing installed on the 32Gb SSD, it is used merely as a read/write cache to boost overall system speed in conjunction with the 2Tg HDD.

My BIOS is current at version A13.

SATA MODE is RAID

SECURE BOOT STATE is Disabled

LOAD LEGACY OPROM is [Enabled]

BOOT MODE is [Legacy]

I've tried changing SATA MODE to AHCI through editing the Registry and going into the BIOS, but then Win7 won't boot up. So I changed everything back and booted up fine.

Question: Is there any way to uninstall IRST fully and bypass the 32Gb SSD so Win7 boots directly from the 2Tb HDD? I don't care if my PC runs a bit slower without the 'benefits' of IRST & the 32Gb SSD caching system. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

Thank you for joining the community.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information on your computer. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
  2. Click the Help icon.
  3. Click the System Report icon.
  4. Click Save.
  5. please attach the file report to the thread.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SMasi2
Beginner

Thanks for the response. Here's the report you requested:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

Thank you for your response.

To assist you with your situation seems that you will have to disable acceleration and then reset the SSD to available using the Intel® RST application.

Please refer to the following pictures to find the steps to perform the actions need it, you can find these steps in Intel® RST application on the help section.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SMasi2
Beginner

Thank you for the information. Before I make any changes to IRST, I want to make sure that we are both very clear on I what I wish to do and we completely understand each other. I may ask some seemingly very basic questions, so please bear with me.

1. I have a 32Gb SSD and a 2Tb HDD that uses IRST. The SSD has nothing installed or stored on it, it is used strictly as a cache drive, correct?

2. Win7 is installed on and all my software and data resides on the 2Tb HDD, correct?

3. Win7, software, and data are on drive C:, correct?

4. The 32Gb SSD is not considered part of drive C:, correct?

5. Following the steps outlined in your post will, in effect, by-pass and ignore the SSD, making it 'invisible' to my system?

6. After following the steps you outline, Win7 will boot directly from the HDD, ignoring the SSD?

7. Do I have to change any keys in the Registry to change from RAID to AHCI?

8. Do I change my BIOS setting SATA MODE from RAID to AHCI?

9. Can I leave the SSD plugged into the motherboard, unused?

To review, I want to set up a dual boot PC using the already installed Win7 along with a Linux distribution. Both will reside on the HDD, but in different partitions. I went into Disk Management and set aside space on the HHD by shrinking it to give the Linux distribution about 300Gb of unallocated space. The installer that is bundled with Linux will open a dialog box that shows all disks and partitions and ask where I wish to install. It will either automatically set aside space or allow you to manually do so. I sets up all the needed swap space, etc., and does the install. It creates a boot menu and on restarting, it lists each OS installed on the HDD that enables you to select the one you wish to boot up. That way, you can switch back and forth from Win7 to Linux and vice versa.

I really do appreciate your help and I apologize if I sound like I'm talking down to you. I'm not at all, I just want to make myself clear and avoid any misunderstandings. I certainly don't want to brick my PC and wind up with an expensive doorstop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

The previous report requested would not let see where the data is located, prior to answering your questions I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
Could you send us a picture of the disk management? (right click on the Windows® logo> disk management)

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SMasi2
Beginner

Here's the report as requested:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

I review the information on the report that you have sent me, the is the Intel RST report where I can locate the hard drive configuration that you have built, in other to find more information for the location of the storage, could you send us a picture of the disk management? (right click on the Windows® logo> disk management)

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SMasi2
Beginner

Thanks, here's a screenshot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

1. I have a 32Gb SSD and a 2Tb HDD that uses IRST. The SSD has nothing installed or stored on it, it is used strictly as a cache drive, correct? Yes

2. Win7 is installed on and all my software and data resides on the 2Tb HDD, correct? Yes

3. Win7, software, and data are on drive C:, correct? Yes

4. The 32Gb SSD is not considered part of drive C:, correct? Yes

5. Following the steps outlined in your post will, in effect, by-pass and ignore the SSD, making it 'invisible' to my system? Yes

6. After following the steps you outline, Win7 will boot directly from the HDD, ignoring the SSD? Yes

7. Do I have to change any keys in the Registry to change from RAID to AHCI? No

8. Do I change my BIOS setting SATA MODE from RAID to AHCI? No

9. Can I leave the SSD plugged into the motherboard, unused? Yes

Note: for the use of RAID arrays we always recommend to have a back up of the data to avoid any date lose.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SMasi2
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, Leonardo.

Another question before I make any changes. If I set a Restore point before I make any changes to IRST, will booting Win7 in Safe Mode and running that Restore Point from Safe Mode roll back my system back to its original state before I made the changes to IRST?

I don't want to brick my PC and not be able to roll back any changes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

Making an OS restore point will not restore the changes on the Intel® RST, in this case, I recommend a back up of the data on an external drive.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SMasi2
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

I don't have the devices to do a comprehensive back-up before I make the changes to the IRST to disable it and to bypass the SSD cache drive. Until I can safely back up my data, I'm going to put my dual-boot plans on hold.

One more question: After I make the changes you advised, can I go into my BIOS and reset SATA MODE from RAID to AHCI? For some reason, Win7 users have difficulty setting up a dual-boot system when SATA MODE is set to RAID.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

In your configuration changing the SATA mode on the BIOS from RAID to AHCI would imply a hardware configuration change, in that case, your OS probably would not boot, and to have Windows® 7 ruining with the new configuration you may have to reinstall the OS.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tremolux

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos