Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Does Intel Rapid Storage Technology SSD caching help with VHDX files?

steam2
New Contributor I

I'm not interested in the caching of the files *inside* the Hyper-V VHDX files, I'm just asking at the Hyper-V host OS level. Any Intel references would be very helpful! Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, OvalPiston:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology caching feature will gather the most commonly used files and load them in the cache assigned to work with the system.

As of now, it would only select the most common files independenly of its format or source (regualr vs virtualized files).

Because of that, the behavior or performance wouldn't improve or decrease depending of the type of file cached.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
steam2
New Contributor I

Intel Corporation wrote:

Because of that, the behavior or performance wouldn't improve or decrease depending of the type of file cached.

Thanks for the reply. So is that a Yes or a No when it comes to caching 100GB VHDX files? What about VHDX files around 12GB? The limit of RST caching currently is 64GB.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, OvalPiston:

Thank you for your answer.

As mentioned previously, the technology would take the most commonly used files and load them in the SSD cache to access them faster (up to 64GB) this would take windows files, my document files and other files that are regularly used.

A single file that is more than 64GB size, not so much.

The Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology shouldn't be affected by the type of files cached.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, OvalPiston:

I was checking this thread and I was wondering if the information provided helped you with this inquiry.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
PDenn
Novice

I am also interested to know if vhdx files are cached in whole or in part. Is there is any point using IRT on a server with ssd. It seems not.

Also some information would be useful regarding what happens if the ssd fails.

Thanks

0 Kudos
steam2
New Contributor I

So conclusions from your posts are:

1. VHDX files > 64GB are not cached at all because their size exceeds the size of the SSD Caching in RST

2. RST SSD Caching does not cache partial files, only an entire file. Thus, partial VHDX files are not cached.

3. There is no benefit running RST SSD Caching on a Windows server that exclusively runs VMs, like Hyper-V host.

Please correct me if the above is not true.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, OvalPiston:

1- Correct.

2- Lets say that you regularly use certain software, the files from that software are the ones to be loaded into cache.

3- Regarding this question, let me get this investigated, since it is a different enviroment it may work differently.

Toomanylogins, In the event the accelerated disk fails, there is no risk of data loss, because the data on the HDD is always synchronized with the data in the SSD.

More information about Intel(R) Smart Response here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology-brief.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology-brief.html

I will keep you posted on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos