Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Drives disabled and incompatible in Rapid Storage Technology screen. Help!

ALee68
Beginner

I have a Lenovo U310 that has a 32GB SSD cache with the 500GB HDD. My windows did not shut down properly and upon reboot, it went to Reading Packed Metadata into memory... then it reboots again. F2 and F12 does nothing. In fact, I tried all the Fn keys

After many reboots I get "Failed to read packed metadata" then "there was an error initializing cache. Proceeding without it"

Then it shows

RAID VOLUME

0 FFS RAID0(stripe) 128KB 8GB Normal

1 CACHE RAID(cache) 128KB 21GB DISABLED

PHYSCIAL DEVICES

0 Samsung.........29GB CACHE DISK (0,1)

1 ST500 ...... 465GB DISABLED

Then it asks me to press Ctrl-I, which bring me to the Intel main menu.which shows:

RAID VOLUMES

none defined

PHYSICAL DEVICES

0 Samsung ..... 29GB INCOMPATIBLE

1 ST500 465GB INCOMPATBILE

Any way to recover? How can I get access to my main drive because there are files that I want to copy

Even the system restore button on Lenovo doesn't work.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Most likely something was corrupted in the SSD Configuration Information due to system failure, at this point you must remove acceleration to recover.

If the configuration of cache was in Enhanced mode, you can simply go to the "Acceleration Options" in the OROM UI and choose to remove acceleration by pressing 'r'. This will remove acceleration and the disabled state. You should also reset the Cache Disk to non-raid using the "reset disk to non-Raid" OROM UI option. Then you can reboot to Windows and re-enable Smart Response Technology in the Windows RST UI.

If the acceleration was in Maximized mode, you can perform the same steps as for Enhanced mode, however there is data loss risk involved and you may not be able to boot. This may happen as anything that is in Cache that was never written to the RAID0 volume will be lost, and it may include critical boot information.

Note, you may need to change their boot order in the BIOS after resetting the Cache Disk.

0 Kudos