Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Error (0xA005005D) when trying to create new RAID 1 volume with Intel RST v17.7.0.1006 after Windows 10 upgrade

JWipf
Novice

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with two 500GB SATA disk drives that I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I'm attempting to use the Intel RST application to create a RAID 1 volume again after the OS upgrade. In the Intel RST application, I click through the wizard to create the RAID 1 volume, but after completing the wizard, there's a message box with the following error:

(0xA005005D): An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed.

After clicking OK on the error message, there's another message box "Volume Creation Complete - The Volume was created successfully."

My OS upgrade procedure was following:

In Windows 7 x64, I was running a RAID 1 volume using two identical SATA disk drives 0 and 1, and Intel RST version was probably 11.7.0.1013 or earlier (not positive).

a) I removed the disk drives from RAID mode within the Intel BIOS Disk Configuration Utility (but left the disk controller in RAID mode (vs SATA) in the Dell BIOS).

b) Then I unplugged disk drive 0 temporarily, while I formatted and completed a fresh install of Windows 10 on disk drive 1.

c) Finally I plugged in the (formatted) disk drive 0 and rebooted, and now am attempting to create the RAID 1 array again, by overwriting the blank disk 0.

I'm running Intel RST v17.7.0.1006 after Windows 10 upgrade.

A scan using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant utility reports that "Your Intel® software is up to date."

My next thoughts are to incrementally downgrade the Intel RST version, but that is a lot of work and probably cause instability.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JWipf
Novice

Due to the age of the PC (2003 era Intel Chipset), I suspected that I'll need to complete the RAID 1 volume creation process at low level, and that trying to complete this using the Intel RST application at OS level will not work.

Turns out I was correct. After starting over from scratch, I had to use the (BIOS ROM-level) Intel Disk Matrix Storage Manager (Control +I at startup) to Reset Disks to Non-RAID, and then recreated the RAID volume.

After completing the Win 10 reinstall, this time the Intel RST is happy at the OS level. Learned the hard way I guess.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JWipf
Novice

Due to the age of the PC (2003 era Intel Chipset), I suspected that I'll need to complete the RAID 1 volume creation process at low level, and that trying to complete this using the Intel RST application at OS level will not work.

Turns out I was correct. After starting over from scratch, I had to use the (BIOS ROM-level) Intel Disk Matrix Storage Manager (Control +I at startup) to Reset Disks to Non-RAID, and then recreated the RAID volume.

After completing the Win 10 reinstall, this time the Intel RST is happy at the OS level. Learned the hard way I guess.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My understanding is that Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) support in Windows 10 is limited to 4th gen or newer Intel Core processors. According to what I am reading, the Inspiron 530 has a (friggin' ancient) Core 2 Duo/Quad processor.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
JWipf
Novice

Yep its "friggin ancient", but its been a perfectly snappy & responsive machine since 2003, and I can find no excuse to replace it for what its being used for (email, browsing, MS Office). Even better now with a fresh Windows 10 install with bloatware removed via Powershell.

I did need to use DriverEasy to get all the older hardware's drivers running for Windows 10.

Following article seems to explain the solution:

https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/Upgrade-from-Intel-Matrix-Storage-Manager-to-Intel-Rapid-Storage/td-p/4570722

My chipset is the Intel® 82801IR/IO I/O Controller Hub (ICH9R), with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager ROM 7.5.0.1017 built into the motherboard (Ctrl + I at boot up).

So my solution was to delete and re-create the RAID array at low level followed by Windows 10 installation.

Intel RST 17.7.0.1006 is working perfectly within Windows 10, so the Intel drivers must be supporting this ancient ICH9R chipset.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28997/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

ICH9R? That's 3 Series chipset and Core 2 Duo/Quad processor. Yep, that's really old. I recently cleared out all of my 5 Series (1st gen Core processor) and older systems -- just because I didn't need them any longer, not because of any failures (nothing left my home not working).

Actually, in all of my older systems (up though 8 Series), I have always used the RST OpROM to create/delete my RAID arrays. Once this is done and the array is active, Windows can use it with only the RST drivers installed. That is, there's no need for the RST software package to be installed - unless you actually want it there to monitor the status of the drives and arrays.

Bottom line, I agree with your "solution". Stick with it. Intel Customer Support will presumably say that EOLed processors and chipsets are not supported and stop there.

...S

0 Kudos