Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Expand Capacity with RAID 5

COver2
Beginner

I am using a motherboard with Z68 chipset with oROM (Intel RST v. 10.0.6.0.1002). I created a RAID 5 with 3x 466GB HDDs [WD5000BPKT] 5 or 6 years ago, when the system was new. This gave a usable volume of about 932GB. I recently added one 932GB disk [WD10JPLX], and expanded the volume to include the new drive (about 1398GB or 3x 466GB). Then one at a time, I swapped out the original 3 drives, rebuilding the "degraded" array each time, until I ended up with a RAID 5 on 4x 932GB HHDs [WD10JPLX]. After everything was done and happy, I ended up with only 1/2 the total usable storage in the volume that I expect (~1.4TB instead of ~2.8TB). Even though it recognizes that I have 4x 932GB, it behaves as though I have 4x 466GB (original drive size). How do I expand the capacity to use the whole of each HDD? I STRONGLY prefer NOT to wipe and rebuild.

BTW: This is not my boot drive, this is my data drive, using Win7-64, I have all my user data and user libraries and such pointed to the array, in order to keep the boot drive available for installed programs. Boot drive is 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Thank you for the help!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Chuck-O,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

If you access the disk management, what do you see there? Would you please post a picture of the disk management?

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
COver2
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, do you have UEFI enabled in the BIOS? If not, this option needs to be enabled in order for a system to support volumes with more than 2TBs.

If UEFI is enabled, please try to follow the steps from the image I have attached, hopefully you will be able to increase the volume with this information.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos