Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

F6flpy-x64-Non-VMD.zip and F6flpy-x64-VMD.zip Removed

PhilipYip
Novice

There seems to have been an update to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology User Interface and Driver Downloads Page:

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-10th-and-11th-gen-platforms.html 

Now there is only the option to download the SetupRST.exe. Previously there was a F6flpy-x64-Non-VMD.zip and F6flpy-x64-VMD.zip. These are required to load the F6 drivers during the Windows Setup Screen and the zip format is particularly important when creating Windows Installation Media on another Operating System such as Ubuntu.

Labels (2)
31 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PhilipYip  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

There is no need to load the driver during Windows setup. Does Windows show any error when you try to install the RST driver in exe format? 

If so, did you try another installer?  

If applicable, Can you provide a screenshot if windows requests you the RST driver? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
0xAbdullah
Beginner

f6flpy-x64 intel vmd zip dosyasını nasıl bulabilirim?

0 Kudos
AungMM25
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn ,

I would like to request you there was shown 

"We couldn't find any drives To get a storage driver click load drive"

when I was reinstall driver. I was looking for many viedo on youtube they say need to download f6flpy but this file already removed from Intel.

0 Kudos
PhilipYip
Novice

I had another look at this... 

Windows IntelRST (Dell Update Package Application)

On Windows double click the Dell Update Package and select Extract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0nydQski0o (2:00)

This driver can also be extracted with 7Zip.

Windows IntelRST (Intel Application)

On Windows right click the Downloads folder and select open in Terminal and then type in:

./SetupRST.exe -extractdrivers SetupRST_extracted 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0nydQski0o (3:03)

This driver cannot be extracted with 7Zip.

Ubuntu IntelRST (Dell Update Package Application)

An exe cannot be run on Linux however the Dell Update Package can be extracted using P7Zip... the Linux version of 7Zip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyG6PedBck (9:27)

Ubuntu IntelRST (Intel Application)

An exe isn't really designed to be extracted and P7Zip and can't extract the driver from the driver direct from Intel. It would be easier if these were made available as a zip file... or if Intel made the .exe more similar to the Dell Update Package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyG6PedBck (10:33)

Linux Workaround

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver packaged by Lenovo or HP also doesn't seem to extract using 7Zip or P7Zip.

The Dell Update Packages for the Dell XPS 13 series corresponds to the following generations of Intel Processors and can be extracted with P7Zip:

9333 = 4th Gen Intel Processor

9433 = 5th Gen Intel Processor

9350 = 6th Gen Intel Processor

9360, 9365 = 7th Gen Intel Processor

9370 = 8th Gen Intel Processor

9380 = 9th Gen Intel Processor

7390 = 10th Gen Intel Processor

9300, 9305, 9310 = 11th Gen Intel Processor

9315 = 12th Gen Intel Processor

9320 = 13th Gen Intel Processor

The extracted driver from the Dell Update Packages can probably be used in HP and Lenovo hardware with equivalent generations of Intel Processors.

0 Kudos
NTOLESKILLS
Beginner

BONJOUR M. JocelynIntel je  suis confronter au même problème du  "pilotes de la technologie Intel Rapid Storage" puisque mon système avais de soucis je voulais passer a  win11 vue que mon pc est compatible mais je suis bloque a cause ça je peu avoir votre assistance

coordiallement.

0 Kudos
PhilipYip
Novice

I made a full video recording of the Windows Installation, preparing Windows 11 Installation Media, the F6 Drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and clean installing. Windows 11 Installation on my Dell XPS 13 9305 (11th Gen Processor) with Intel VMD. It has about 100K views and lots of users followed the instructions specifically regarding the F6 Intel VMD driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y388W8MaPME 

6:11 shows the driver downloaded from Intel in the .zip and not .exe format. This is important on Linux for extraction as Windows Applications cannot be run on Linux.

8:01 shows the RAID Storage Controller being used with Intel VMD in the Dell UEFI BIOS Setup.

10:27 shows that I needed to load the driver to view the SSD.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PhilipYip  

Thank you for the information and the video provided. 

I will proceed to do some research about the zip files you need, I'll do my best. 

As soon as I have updates, I will let you know in this post. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Nerdtality
Novice

This is a REQUIREMENT for Windows Installers that boot from USB! Why did you remove this? There was nothing wrong with the way you had it.

0 Kudos
OR3O
Beginner
0 Kudos
Nerdtality
Novice

If this isnt fixed, I am hosting my own F6 zip hosting web page and it will explain what intel has done to it's community by removing the zip files.

0 Kudos
OR3O
Beginner

Please do . fully behind you on this one

0 Kudos
Nerdtality
Novice

Temporary Fix

Download SetupRST.exe

Create RST folder under C:\

run SetupRST.exe from Powershell using:
.\SetupRST.exe -extractdrivers C:\RST

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PhilipYip  

Thank you for your time. 

These are the steps for the Pre-Installation of the Intel® RST driver, you can actually find these in the ReadMe notes, section 6.3 using the "Load driver" method: 

a. Extract driver files from SetupRST.exe: 

- Open terminal in the directory with SetupRST.exe by right-clicking the directory 

and selecting "Open in Terminal" or "Open PowerShell here" 

- Enter the following command: 

./SetupRST.exe -extractdrivers SetupRST_extracted 

b. Copy all driver files from the SetupRST-extracted to a USB key media. 

c. For Microsoft Windows OS*: 

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the location to install  

Windows, click 'Load Driver' to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver. 

d. When prompted, insert the USB media and press Enter. 

e. Follow the prompts and browse to the location of the installation files. Select the  

appropriate ‘.inf’ file (64 or 32 bit). If a supported controller is detected there  

will be no error message. Follow the prompts to continue and complete the installation. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Nerdtality
Novice

Oh... Now you submit a solution after I already said exactly what you said? Come on!

Well, thanks for your help? Not really but ok its a start! Now return the .zip file download?

0 Kudos
PhilipYip
Novice

That workaround can be used if the installation media is being prepared on Windows but it cannot be used if the Windows Installation Media is being prepared on Linux; which is why having the .zip file directly is particularly useful.

0 Kudos
yusufadell
Beginner

I'm facing the same problem on linux qhat if i have the zip file how to install it if the os can't load and suggestions?

0 Kudos
OR3O
Beginner

They did not hve to complicte stuff like this . 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PhilipYip and @Nerdtality  

Unfortunately, these zip files are not available at this moment, but I have passed the feedback to the proper team in charge and explained the impact of this for visibility. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
PhilipYip
Novice

Just to let you know, I have also left Windows Insider Feedback on this issue, suggesting Microsoft proactively slipstream these drivers into the boot.wim and install.wim of Windows 10 and 11 Installation Media:

https://aka.ms/AAk7708 

These drivers are as important as Intel network drivers used to give the system basic out of the box functionality, for Windows Installation and Update. Others may also want to upvote the Windows feedback and leave a comment giving details about their system, processor and SATA Operation if they are having similar issues.

Nerdtality
Novice

I will be following up with Intel directly and with other social media news outlets about this to see what is going on, people are going to visit sketchy websites to download these drivers now, such a dis-service to your own community. RST should have never existed if you where not going to support it correctly. Especially since this technology is still being produced. The Linux community is going to loose their minds!

0 Kudos