Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Hdd missing after accidentally using rapid storage technology

APANA5
Beginner

HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST

Hello,

While using intel rapid storage technology on acer swift 3 sf315-52g laptop and used the Intel RST because it seemed like it would free up space on my computer so I said "Ok." Today, when I started up my computer, my entire D: drive has gone "missing" - I think it was combined with my C: drive, and I cannot seem to access my personal files! Is there a way to undo this action or to separate the drives to what they used to be?? Thank you in advance for any .the intel rapid storage technology says its in recovery mode and can only be used in power saving mode.help me to revert back to older settings

10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You likely cannot revert back. I hope you had a backup of your D drive.

Doc

0 Kudos
APANA5
Beginner

No i have many data on drive is there any way to access my d

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @APANA5​ 

Depends of what you did:

Case 1: Did you changed only SATA mode from AHCI to Intel RST premium with Optane mode in Bios settings?

Case 2: You did something else.

If your action is defined by Case 1, you may revert from RST mode to AHCI without losing boot, if you boot into Bios setting, before reverting to AHCI after changing Windows boot mode to SAFE.

1. In Windows press Windows key + R. In opened window write command msconfig and press OK. System Configuration should open.
  2. In Boot tab, check Safe boot and click OK. Next, confirm reboot in SAFE mode.
  3. Wait until Windows reboots and verify that SAFE mode is set.
  4. Reboot Windows again and press on F2 during boot to enter Bios settings
  5. Change SATA mode to AHCI and press F10 to save setting and exit to Windows. You will get Warning that changing SATA mode may result in losing boot. Confirm and boot into Windows.
  6. In Windows press Windows key + R. In opened window write command msconfig and press OK. System Configuration should open.
  7. In Boot tab, uncheck Safe boot and click OK. Next, confirm reboot in Normal mode.

Although I did this successfully on my computer, use this procedure on your own risk. Since you didn't backup your data, you may lose it.

If your action is defined by Case 2, you must describe in more details what you did?

The other solution and could be the safest, is to address your question to Acer support.

Leon

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

@APANA5

Did the fix proposed by LWAKSMAN work?

@Al.Hill

What is your opinion about LWAKSMAN's suggestion?

@Lkawsman

I have a restore point that I previously tried to use - unsuccessfully.

If I try the fix you proposed, can I also use the restore?

@everyone

Is there something that I should do to protect the restore point from corruption before I attempt the fix.

For more details, see:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006HnZS/how-to-uninstall-intels-rapid-storage-technology?t=1557169421731

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"What is your opinion about LWAKSMAN's suggestion?"

I think you should stay with your thread and stop shopping for opinions.

Doc

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

Simply grateful for any help I can get.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, you will get it in the thread you created.

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JTrev5​ 

1. In the top of this page there is a blue label "Ask a Question". Click on this label and in Post to line, choose the category your problems feets (for example: Optane, NUC, Graphics,...). Next define the subject and then in Details, describe your problem, hardware and software configuration, sequence of event which caused the problem to appear. In the end click on Ask, a new thread with your question will be open. We will try to help you.
  2. Do not add your question to somebody else thread.

Leon

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

As a service to Intel customers, like me, who lost access to all of the data on their second (internal) hard drive, here is the official answer I received in an email from Intel's technical support:

An update was made to service request @@@@@@@ on May 7, 2019

Hello @@@,

Thank you for your response and the information provided,

Based on the system report, it seems that you have a recovery drive, in this case what you need to do is to start from the scratch following the instructions below:

1. Access to CTRL - I (To know how to access the CTRL-I you need to get in contact with the original equipment manufacturer of your system )

2. Reset disks to Non RAID

3. If unable to enter CTRL I

4. Check with OEM. Possible that this is included in Bios. 

5. Access regular OS partition to set computer back to factory settings. 

To know how to access the CTRL-I you need to get in contact with the original equipment manufacturer of your system.

We have updated the subject and/or description to remove any personal information and to make the issue/request more specific.  

If you have any other question please do not hesitate in replying to this email.

Best Regards,

Josepline V. 

Me again: WOW

Any comments or suggestions?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Any comments or suggestions?"

Yes, as I told you before, stay with your own thread:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006HnZS/how-to-uninstall-intels-rapid-storage-technology?t=1557169421731

Doc

0 Kudos