Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

How can I fix the name of iastora.sys on an inaccessible boot drive?

JEngl3
Beginner

I was trying to install Windows update 1903 and I found a workaround on Microsoft's knowledge Base that had me uninstall RST and rename iastora.sys. Unfortunately, when I rebooted, I received an inaccessible boot drive error.  I could not find a way to access the drive to fix the name of the file and restore the drive. I then pulled the drive and attached it as a secondary drive to another Win 10 machine and still couldn't access it. How can I fix the name of iastora.sys on an inaccessible boot drive?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JEngl3, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, what we recommend in order to fix the problem about being unable to install the Windows* 10 1903 update because of the iastora.sys. file error message is to follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055130/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

In this case, since the workaround that you found was provided by Microsoft, what we recommend is to get in contact directly with them so they can provide further suggestions and technical assistance for this scenario:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JEngl3
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Alberto. However, my current problem is that I uninstalled RST and renamed iastora.sys to iastora.sys.org. This has rendered my drive unreadable. I posted here hoping that there is some way to reverse this without having to wipe the drive and start over. Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So this problem you are seeing is likely because you disabled RST in the BIOS. You cannot do that without reinstalling your O/S. Go back in and re-enable it in the BIOS. You should then be able to boot from your disk again.

Just out of curiosity, what is your hardware configuration (i.e. why did you have RST installed)?

...S

0 Kudos
JEngl3
Beginner

Thanks for the reply S. I did not change any settings in the BIOS. I uninstalled RST and renamed iastora.sys to iastora.sys.org. When I rebooted, the hard drive was inaccessible.

This is a Dell laptop with a 500gb SSD. RST was installed when I purchased it.

0 Kudos
JEngl3
Beginner

SOLVED! The HDD USB dock that I was using failed. Hooked up drive to Win 10 computer's motherboard and got access. Renamed iastora.sys and reinstalled drive in laptop. Booted up without a problem.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JEngl3, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem was resolved and now the HDD is booting properly.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos