Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

I have a DELL XPS 8900 with a 256G Solid state drive and a 2 Terabyte hard drive. Want to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but Intel Rapid Storage Technology won't let me boot from the Widows 10 IOS installer on a USB stick or CD. Help.

TChas2
Beginner

I have Windows 7 Professional installed on the SS Drive (C drive). The 2 Terabyte hard drive (D drive) has almost all of my data on it and some programs. I would prefer not to reformat this drive. Could reformat C, the solid state drive, if necessary. When I start up the computer I get a flash screen which says, "Initializing Intel (R) Boot Agent CL v0.1.06 PXE 2.1 Build 092 (WfM 2.0)". Pressing F12 or F2 does not do anything. I have run a system report and also the System Support Utility. The drives are not in a RAID configuration.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. What is the purpose of Intel RST driver on your system?
  2. Please prepare the installation USB using Microsoft Media Creation Tool (do not use the installation media you bought).
  3. Set in BIOS, USB as first boot device.
  4. To protect your data on HDD, disconnect it during installation.

Leon

0 Kudos
TChas2
Beginner
Yes, Leon, that is what I have been trying to do, but I can't get to the BIOS to reset the boot device. I think that the Intel RST is not allowing me to change the boot device. What can I do? I have tried removing the Intel RST program (both from Control Panel - Uniunstall and with Gavrila Martinau Total Uninstall) and it didn't help. I'm attaching a system report and a scan from the System Support Utility.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I suggest ask the DELL support.
  2. Any way, you don't necessary change the boot order, in order to boot from USB. After powering your computer, click on designated key to reach the Boot Menu and then select the installation USB. In some computer this is F10 key, in other F8 and sometimes F11. You need to read the manual.

Leon

0 Kudos