Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

I have a Dell Precision 5810 with win 10 ver1903. I received a Dell driver update that forced it's way on the computer. now blue screen isStorB.sys

RBoss1
Beginner

Receive random BSOD says stop code DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL WHAT FAILED IASTOR.SYS Need to resolve this without reinstalling windows 10. I have two 1gb seagate drives using raid 1 says function is normal. I see numerous items about this computer and this error message but nothing to resolve this issue. I DO NOT want to reinstall windows 10. Isn't there a simple way to update the driver or something to get this working correctly again. Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

RBoss1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, in the following link you will find the details of how to try to fix the problem regarding the iastora.sys file error message, please follow the instructions showing on the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055130/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
RBoss1
Beginner

​Thank you for your response. Question, when I go to this link I get a message that states there is a newer version available. Should I download this version or the version the link you provided referenced. I hope that makes sense. thanks again

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RBoss1, You are very welcome.

For this specific scenario, we recommend to install the version provided in the link first, then, if the problem gets fixed that way and the error message is not showing anymore, you can always try to update the Intel® RST application to the latest version.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
RBoss1
Beginner

​Hello again, I tried that link and got a rather quick message about a premature error. I then noticed that it appears that Dell install the RST entrpise version of software. Do I need another driver? or if not any ideas on how to get this corrected. very frustrating.  thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello RBoss1, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

I looked on Dell's web site for the proper version of Intel® RST application for your platform and, as you mentioned, it actually shows that it is theIntel® RST enterprise version:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=myj0n&oscode=wt64a&productcode=precision-t5810-workstation

Just to let you know, the Intel® RST enterprise version was designed to work in a Server environment, when using a Server board, so, the best thing to do in this case, will be to check directly with Dell to verify if that is the proper version validated by them and for them to provide the proper configuration and further technical suggestions in order to try to fix the iastora.sys file error message and to be able to install the latest version of the application:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/?lwp=rt

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
RBoss1
Beginner

​Just and FYI I really appreciate your response and support. I understand what you are saying curious why dell would do that also. Problem is they want me to reload the system from scratch. I don't get that. If I did reload what would stop the same issue from re-occurring, or why can't I just install a capable driver and fix the issue?  I just don't understand hoping there was a better solution.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RBoss1, You are very welcome, we are glad to further assist you.

Regarding Dell's recommendations of re-installing Windows* from scratch, the best thing to do will be to ask those questions directly to them, if they are suggesting to do that then is because they might have previous reports or documentation stating that the issue gets fixed that way.

Now, if there is a driver for you to install to try to fix this problem, it should be provided by them, that is also something that you can check with them directly, if the driver that is available on their web site does not resolve problem, they should be able to know why and maybe provide another driver version for your platform.

At this point, you can always try to install one the Intel® Generic RSTe versions from our web site in order to try to resolve this situation:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28890/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe-AHCI-and-SCU-Software-RAID-Driver-for-Windows-

Additionally, another option will be also to get in contact with Microsoft directly to check if they might have similar cases or known issues and for them to provide further recommendations for this scenario:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
RBoss1
Beginner

​Hello again, well thank you. I have spoken with Dell, Intel and Microsoft. No one has provided me a solution to resolve this issue now or in the future. I'm just the poor customer who purchased the computer and one day woke up to find this situation. I'm just trying to find someone who is responsible and can resolve this issue for good. Dell, Intel and/or Microsoft are the only vendors involved. I just want my computer back and is tired of everyone pointing the finger at someone else and me the customer not getting any support. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Not meaning to step on anyone in this thread, but I would stop/disable Dell driver updates, and rebuild the system. And, I would not use RST. Problem solved.

I know you do not want to rebuild the system, but it is the only way to have any confidence regarding the integrity of the OS moving forward.

Doc

0 Kudos
RBoss1
Beginner

​no problem. They system came with RST which I was guessing how they did y raid1. not sure if I don not use this rst how I get raid 1 back or convert over to a new method of raid. thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Dell installs all of that whether you need it or not. It makes life easy for them, and confuses the user. If you do not need or use raid, you do not need RST. When you rebuild your system, just make sure SATA mode is set to AHCI in the bios, and then install W10. It simplifies life for you, and gets rid of unnecessary software.

Doc

0 Kudos