Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

I installed rapid storage technology 27.7.0.2 on my dell computer after upgrading to Windows 10 pro 64 bit from Windows 7 pro 64 bit. Got error message that it couldn't inject the driver into the recovery partition on the hard drive.

LMoor6
Beginner

The intel rapid storage technology program appears to be working but does it matter that it did not install it in the recovery partition? Is there a way to install the program in the recovery partition?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, it certainly matters if you ever have to do a Windows Recovery. This won't work if you don't have the RST drivers in the recovery partition.

Let's back up. Questions:

• What Dell system?
  • What processor?
  • What memory installed?
  • What disk drives installed?
  • You say you had a RAID array set up and Windows 7 was installed and running from within this array, right?
  • You then did a Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade, right?

Note: Please provide part numbers, NOT descriptions!

Most of my thoughts will come after you answer these questions. There are a couple of comments I can make, however. First of all, considering that you were upgrading from Windows 7, I presume that this is an older system. If this is a 7 Series or older board, with a 2nd generation Core or older processor, then the use of RST is NOT supported under Windows 10. This may be your problem and would certainly explain what you have seen; I will know once you answer the questions...

...S

0 Kudos
LMoor6
Beginner

It's a Dell OptiPlex 980 that originally came with windows 7 pro 64 bit. It now has two new WD SATA 7200 RPM 500 gig hard drives. They are the black ones Western Digital sells. Dell does not have any driver updates for upgrading to Windows 10. The processor is an Intel core i7 quad core processor 860 with VT (2.8 GHZ) It has 8 gig Non-ECC 1333 MHZ DDR3 memory. The computer came with Raid 1 installed by Dell with Windows 7 and had Rapid Storage Technology version 9.6.0.1014 already installed. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I lost the Rapid Storage Technology that was originally installed by Dell.

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

RST is not officially supported on Windows 10 for processors/chipsets this old. When you do the Windows 10 upgrade, I believe that the tool will keep enough of it in the resulting image that existing arrays should still function, but I don't believe that there will be any monitoring capability and, the moment that an RST upgrade is attempted, even this support could get screwed up (I am vaguely remembering a report of this some number of months ago).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
LMoor6
Beginner

When I boot up the computer it shows a screen of Intel Rapid Storage Technology-Option ROM-9.5.0.1037 during boot up before Windows 10 starts It shows it's running Raid 1 in this screen and both hard drives and says it running normal. In the bottom of the screen it says you can enter CTRL-I to enter configuration utility. The only thing I guess I am missing is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology in Windows to monitor or make changes in the Raid 1. I don't really know what the Intel Optane is used for that the software installed when I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology 17.7.0.1006 on my Windows 10.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I believe that Dell is generating a single Windows drive image with support for a whole set of optional features. This means packages are included whether features set needs it or not. Treat it as bloatware; uninstall any feature that your system doesn't have and won't need.

For Intel packages, always uninstall from the Programs & Features applet; do not do so from Device Manager. Uninstalling from Device Manager could potentially leave (orphaned) portions of the package installed and thus could complicate updates down the line.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos