Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

IRST Verification and Repair after power off/on -- Which files were affected? Where is history? How does it determine which drive is good?

J1B
Beginner

Version:  Intel Rapid Storage Technology 12.8.0.1016

SATA Raid1 Array configured using Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller (C200)

My computer froze during shutdown so I had to hit the power button. Verification and repair automatically ran on reboot. Several hours later, IRST reported 42 errors detected and repaired (via the web interface).

Is there any way to determine which files were affected, or even which block numbers?

Where is the history stored? The next time I opened the web GUI, there was no indication that I ever had a problem! If it's remapping bad blocks, or if errors keep recurring, with increasing frequency, I want to know about it!

Finally, on reboot after a power off/on sequence, how does IRST determine which drive in the pair contains the "good" data?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

J1B, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order to provide the most accurate information, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system, please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner.

Just to let you know, normally if you go to "File Explorer" then select your "C" drive, then choose the "Windows*" folder you will find a folder called "System 32", in there you should see another folder in reference to Intel® RST, the logs of the tool should be located there for you to gather all the details that you are looking for.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
J1B
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thank you for the reply.

However I don't see how a system report is going to help you answer my questions about how the Intel software works. I am not having any problems with the software itself. What are the few details about my system that you want to confirm?

As a rule I don't attach log files to public forums, even if they allegedly contain "no personal information." Please send me a PRIVATE email message proposing a password that you would like to use, and I will upload the system report encrypted by 7-zip using that password.

I looked in the System32 directory as you suggested, and could not find anything related to IRST. I am running Windows 7 Professional. Would the directory you mentioned be anywhere else? Please specify the full pathname of the directory and log files that you alluded to. As you know there are thousands of files in System32, and it's dangerous to be poking around randomly; it's like searching for snakes in tall grass.

Thank you,

-J1B

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello J1B, You are very welcome.

The information that we need is:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the processor?

From where did you download the Intel® RST application, is there a link that we can check?

There is no need for you to public the log files, the option to look in the "System 32" was a suggestion for you verify if the log files were available in that folder, most of the times an Intel® RST folder is there.

Once you provide the information above, we will be able to look deeper into this scenario.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
J1B
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

I edited the output from the SSU report to omit irrelevant stuff (sound cards, USB devices, especially network card which contained IP and MAC addresses). So, I think what I attached here is "OK" according to my paranoia.

The information you require should be in the file attached below. The motherboard is reported as: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P. However there were actually 2 versions of that. Mine is version 1.3 which is the one with a faster PCI bus. It has an 1155 socket type.

When my motherboard shipped, it came with IRST 10.6.0.1002. But then, in 2016, I reinstalled my system from scratch, and used version 12.8.0.1016, which I downloaded from the support site at www.gigabyte.com (the board manufacturer.)

MORE QUESTIONS RAISED:

Would I experience any benefit from installing 12.9.0.1001 available from Intel? Is this the most recent version that I can use? Can I install the "F6" boot driver WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows?

OK, now you have the SSU info, and a 4th question from me... Please let me know the answers to the original email plus new questions raised here. THANKS!

-J1B

0 Kudos
J1B
Beginner

This is where I downloaded IRST from: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68XP-UD3P-rev-13/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci Note that you have to be careful to choose the correct driver (32 vs 64 bits). I am using the 64 bit driver.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

hello J1B, thank you very much for providing those details and the SSU report, we really appreciate that.

In reference to your questions, in order to gather the details you are looking for, please follow the steps provided in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Another option to check more data about the disks will be to select "Help" and then "Index", in there you will see the options "Disk Event" and "Disk Properties" where you will find useful information about the status of the HDDs/SSDs.

Also, you will be able to install the F6 drivers without reinstalling the Operating System.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

J1B, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

J1B, Is there any way that you can please provide a screenshot of when the Intel® RST reported the 42 errors detected and repaired.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

J1B, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

J1B, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
J1B
Beginner
Hi Alberto,  I've been traveling,  not much Internet access.  Feel free to close the ticket.Thanks.÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷  John Bush <JohnBush@email.com>÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi J1B, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Sure, no problem, you are very welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos