Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Identifying Windows disk to specific SATA array

DanC
Beginner

Hello,

I have two mirrors (Raid 1) arrays as data storage in a PC and the Irst identifies the arrays as:

SATA_ARRAY_0000 and SATA_ARRAY_0001, with, presumably default, volume names of:

Volume1 and Volume2.

How do I determine which of the disks in Windows (D: and E:) belong to which array?

Thank you,

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DanC

Thank you for your response.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that the specific type of information you are trying to see and identify is not visible from Windows® neither from the BIOS since this is a Software-Hardware RAID controller. In other scenarios, this could be possible for instance, with an external RAID adapter.

We hope this clarifies your inquiry.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Right-click on the Windows Start button and select Disk Management.

For information on what is in the arrays themselves, run the GUI on older versions of Intel RST or run the new Intel Optane Memory and Storage App (download ed from the Microsoft App Store.

...S

0 Kudos
DanC
Beginner

Disk Management doesn't appear to have the correlation between the two arrays. In Windows, the disks are identified as:

Bus Number 1, Target Id 1, LUN 0

and

Bus Number 3, Target Id 1, LUN 0

Irst only identifies the arrays as posted previously and lists the 4 drives as Port 1-4. How can I tell which array is on which Bus?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The RST GUI should tell you this when you click on a drive and display its information.

...S

0 Kudos
DanC
Beginner

I appreciate the help, but this version apparently does not (12.5).

Is there a way outside of RST where I can get that information? The only other way I can think of is to pull a drive, see what is on it, see which raid becomes degraded and then I can change the volume names in RST so I'll know going forward.

Regards,
Dan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DanC

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DanC
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

I actually never did get a method that would identify which array = which disk in Windows. I believe that the version of Irst (12.5) may not provide that linkage. If this is the case, then I'll have to find another way.

Thanks!
Dan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DanC

Thank you for your response.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that the specific type of information you are trying to see and identify is not visible from Windows® neither from the BIOS since this is a Software-Hardware RAID controller. In other scenarios, this could be possible for instance, with an external RAID adapter.

We hope this clarifies your inquiry.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DanC

We have received the notification that our response from July 17th, 2020, was marked as Solved. In this case, we will proceed to close this thread. If you need further assistance in the future or if you have additional questions please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos