Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Increasing Hard-drive and Hard-drive size to current RAID 5 configuration

NNaya2
Beginner

Hello Intel Support,

I have a Raid 5 with 4 * 250 Gb HDD on windows 10 Enterprise computer. I am using "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller ( Version : 13.2.0.1022)

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU

Installed Ram: 24 GB

I want to add one HDD to the current RAID configuration (so total 5 HDDs in Raid configuration) and also would like to increase size of individual Hard-drives in current configuration. Whats the maximum size of individual HDDs I can increase in Intel Raid 5 configuration and with current processor ?

Is it possible using the same controller and is the processor be able to handle bigger HDDs?

I need your valuable opinions, your information and your recommendations.

If it is possible, could you share an article or instruction on how to do it.

Regards,

Nupur

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello n_nayak,

Thanks for posting. This thread will be moved to in order to better assist you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello n_nayak,

I understand that you would like to increase the amount of hard drives as well as the size used on your RAID 5.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please create and attach an Intel ® RST system report. You can do this by following the steps on the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
NNaya2
Beginner

Hello David,

I have attached the DirectX report here, but for some reason I wasn't able to find the Intel RST user interface.

Kindly guide.

Regards,

Nupur

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello n_nayak,

Thank you for your response,

Regarding your question, yes, it is possible to add another drive to the existing RAID 5 volume. And yes, it is possible to increase the size the volume, however, if the operating system is installed in that volume then it cannot exceed 2TB because this is a limitation of the MBR (Master Boot Record) and not a limitation of the RST/Chipset.

Attached you can find a screenshot with the steps on how to increase the size of the existing RAID 5 volume.

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello n_nayak,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos