Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel 520 and raid0 with TRIM

idata
Employee

Salutations,

I'm planning to buy two Intel 520 120 GB SSDs and I have a question. I know that these drives do not support TRIM in raid0 yet. Will some FW upgrade solve this problem? I've read something about RST, but due fact I don't understand how RST has something to do with raid0 and continual write I'd like to be enlightened by some of You guys, who know the problematics.

Thank You very much for any reply,

Regards

Bryan

P.S.: My rig is Asus Sabertooth P67 rev. 2.0 [probably will kill it by adding new HDDs, now I use only those unfaulty sata ports], Core i7 2600K, Asus GTX 580, 16 gigs of ram [DDR3 1666 MHz [corsair]], and legal Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OEM.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DShar11
Novice

I have had two 120 gb 520's in R0 for many weeks now.

I have not had a single issue with them, drivers are still not the best for x79 platform but for p67 or z68 good to go on the two Intel 6 gb ports.

Hopefully a driver update will give us trim in R0 at some point, no idea when.

idata
Employee

Kindly thank You for Your super fast reply

Yeah, let's hope they'll update the FW soon and make the raid0 "trimmable".

Btw. did You get theoretical 1100 MB/s on read? [don't know which one precisely, any of them I reckon ]

And what are Your write speeds?

0 Kudos
DShar11
Novice
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Holy cow, that's something! Thank You!

Well, how come You have such a nice results and mine are so poor? :/ what am I doing wrong? Am using almost the same mobo as You, almost same CPU, don't get it. Am using SATA 6GB cables.

0 Kudos
DShar11
Novice

I don't see that your scores are so bad. They look fine to me. What driver are you using?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since I have P67 rev 2 Sabertooth mobo, there are no "new" drivers since 2k10 for it. or are there any special drivers for the controller?

I like the way Your read and write catch to each other, as it should be.

Is it possible that it's that way, coz I never formated the SSDs? I just made raid array and copied [literally, made an iSO through acronis] my old OS to new HDD. That's it.

Btw. what drivers do You suggest for my mobo? Asus Sabertooth P67 rev. 2

And rest of my rig:

Core i7 2600K

GTX 580

16 gigs of ram [DDR3 1666 MHz @ 1333 MHz]

0 Kudos
DShar11
Novice

Are you using any IRST drivers?

A clean install will usually give better bench numbers but give it a couple of days and your's will catch up I would think.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I found plenty IRST drivers, mostly the small files in zip, suitable for many Intel workstations. Would You be so kind and link me the most suiting driver for my motherboard?

Asus Sabertooth P67

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/ http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/

On the Asus website I found some drivers from 2011, that has ~250 MB

On the Intel website I found some drivers from the 2011, plenty, each says latest, and their sizes were from 0.2 - 12 MB

Please advise, if possible and thank You for Your precious time,

Bryan

0 Kudos
DShar11
Novice

Give these a go.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

After install there will be a small green icon in bottom right of the taskbar, double click to open the irst control panel and enable write back cache and then see how you make out on bench.

Both drivers are the same driver on the Intel page, one is English version and the other multi language.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And that my friend, solved the problem. The back-write cache. Thank You once more!

0 Kudos
DShar11
Novice
0 Kudos