Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel RST Raid 5 capacity increase

ALEE71
Beginner

Hello there,

I made a Raid 5 with 5x6 TB HDD on Windows 10 x64 OS. Yesterday one of disks is broken. I replaced the damaged one with a ready 8 TB and waiting to recrating and finishing Raid 5. (Intel RST version 14.5.0.1081)

During this process an idea came to my mind. If I replace individuals disks step by step with 8 TB, can I expand the total capacity from 4 x 6 TB=24 TB to 4 x 8 TB=32 TB. Is it possible in Rapid Storage Technology?

I need your valuable opinions, your information and your recommendations.

If it is possible, could you share an article or instruction on how to do it.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Hasan_A_Lee,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Communities Support.

I am glad to assist you, please provide us the following information to check your system configuration.

Please provide us the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report.

You can download the software https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- here.

Also please provide us the System Report in the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
ALEE71
Beginner

Hi

Dear Mr. Stephan,

First of all thank you very much for your interest and your response.

The information you have requested is attached.

I hope you can help.

First I changed a disk in raid and rebulit it.

Now I have changed the second disk and rebulding is going on.

In this way, I will replace all disks in the raid with 8 Terabytes.

Then I hope so to increase the total capacity of raid with your help.

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Hasan_A_Lee,

I have checked your system configuration and you can increase the Raid 5 capacity.

You need to exchange the hard disk 1 by 1, when you replace one 6TB Hard disk you will need to rebuild the RAID, when this is done you can continue doing the same with all other 6TB Hard disks.

When you have all 8 TB Disks installed you need to Increase the Volume Size ( please check the Image attached)

After that please follow the next steps to set the correct partition in Windows:

1. Click Start, right-click on 'Computer' and select 'Manage'.

2. In the left pane, under Storage, Select Disk Management.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
ALEE71
Beginner

Hi,

Dear Mr. Stephen,

Thanks for your help.

After changing all the disks and after the raid rebuild finised, the capacity expansion option appeared. It's hard to think before that. We have to try to understand. You can see the new capacity is 29 TB.!

Note: I haave a complaint is about these web editor. I copied any text but can not paste here. It is so boring. It does not fit to intel.

You can see in the attachment that i have a Raid performance problem now. When copying any data from standalone C (OS) drive to Data Raid drive D, Raid drive write performence is too slow.!!!

I updated all the MB driver but nothing changed.

No any antivirus is working.

All system resources are normal.

Copying is taking many hours.

What is the problem?

Which points I must check?

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Hasan_A_Lee,

The speed problem seems to be related to the RAID controller or Motherboard chip-set.

You may want to check with the Motherboard manufacturer.

Also I notice that you have the 14.5 RST version, we always recommend using the RST OEM version, however for testing purposes you may want to install the latest version available.

You can download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 here.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos